Backup Cam Install 97 Pathfinder

I’ve installed an new touch screen stereo system into my vehicle. May have seen my other post about the tweeters. That has been replaced.

But anyways I was not fully sure about installing a backup cam. However I think I’m going to purchase one to install.

I’m pretty sure some of you here have tackled this job already so if anyone has some advice based on your installation. I was thinking of mounting directly to the lift gate above the license plate on that flat portion. Most likely will have to drill a hole through the lift gate to flush mount it and at the same time I can get the wire in. However, I am hesitant about drilling into the lift gate. But I’m not sure if I have another option.

Also, aside from plugging the video feed into the back of the radio I know you have to tap into the reverse wire as a trigger on/power. However, I’m not sure exactly where this reverse wire is located.

Please let me know if there’s any other wiring I would have to do besides the reverse wire, ground and plug into the video port.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get backup cameras with a bracket that goes behind the license plate, so the camera is right above it (or right below it, depending on how you set it up). You'd still need a hole for the wiring, but you might be able to hide that behind the plate or something.

When I added aux reverse lights to mine, and needed a trigger for the relay, I checked the EL section of the service manual and found where the harness from the trans position sensor comes up through the engine bay, and tapped into one of the wires there.

A flush mount angled camera would be your best bet...single hole, one and done.  Drilling into the liftgate (or truck, for that matter) takes a little courage, but mask it off, double check your clearances inside the liftgate (particular for the wiper motor and linkages), and take your time.

It is possible to get wiring through the liftage tube/grommet going into the chassis.  I've run wiring there previously for some LED lights I installed.  Just need a rigid wire to fish/pull wires through, and removal of all the trim liftgate trim and weatherstripping.

For the reverse signal, you've some options:

1. Behind the front passenger kick panel, one of the harnesses has a yellow wire that is the reverse signal.  The harness will depend on whether it's AT or MT, but they're in the same area.  The FSM details it (I can help with more info about your truck).
  2. Many cameras will have a power wire "tail" at the RCA side and a positive and negative lead on the camera side.  The camera-side wires can be tapped into the reverse signals at the tail light with the pos/neg wires (or just pos from the reverse pos signal and ground the neg wire).  You can then connect the tail wire to the reverse signal on the radio, without having to use the reverse signal from the kick panel.  (The tail light will power the camera and signal the radio.)
  3. If the camera side signal wires aren't long enough to reach the tail light (plausible in your case if installing on the lift gate), but you plan to use the reverse signal at the kick panel, you can cap the pos wire at the camera side and just ground the neg wire.  You then need to connect the reverse signal, radio reverse wire, and the camera's tail wire together (this will send the radio the signal and power the camera).
  4. If the camera lacks the tail wire, you'll have to use the reverse signal from the kick panel for the radio signal, and also the tail light for the camera's power leads.

Note that if your radio supports live camera viewing, you won't be able to utilize this camera for it because the camera will only be powered when in reverse.

I recently added a reverse camera to my truck as a Phase 1 project, and while it fits the immediate need, it's not the end product.  Because of the tire carrier, I made a bracket and ran the wires externally along the frame:

IMG-1638.jpg

IMG-1639.jpg

This setup is temporary, and I may even redo the camera mount to center it in the hub.  Phase 2 setup will require rewiring this camera completely as part of a quad-view setup using front, rear, and forward- and rear-facing undercarriage cameras for trail use.  The live views of those will probably make my wife throw up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A flush mount angled camera would be your best bet...single hole, one and done.  Drilling into the liftgate (or truck, for that matter) takes a little courage, but mask it off, double check your clearances inside the liftgate (particular for the wiper motor and linkages), and take your time.

It is possible to get wiring through the liftage tube/grommet going into the chassis.  I've run wiring there previously for some LED lights I installed.  Just need a rigid wire to fish/pull wires through, and removal of all the trim liftgate trim and weatherstripping.

For the reverse signal, you've some options:
  1. Behind the front passenger kick panel, one of the harnesses has a yellow wire that is the reverse signal.  The harness will depend on whether it's AT or MT, but they're in the same area.  The FSM details it (I can help with more info about your truck).
  2. Many cameras will have a power wire "tail" at the RCA side and a positive and negative lead on the camera side.  The camera-side wires can be tapped into the reverse signals at the tail light with the pos/neg wires (or just pos from the reverse pos signal and ground the neg wire).  You can then connect the tail wire to the reverse signal on the radio, without having to use the reverse signal from the kick panel.  (The tail light will power the camera and signal the radio.)
  3. If the camera side signal wires aren't long enough to reach the tail light (plausible in your case if installing on the lift gate), but you plan to use the reverse signal at the kick panel, you can cap the pos wire at the camera side and just ground the neg wire.  You then need to connect the reverse signal, radio reverse wire, and the camera's tail wire together (this will send the radio the signal and power the camera).
  4. If the camera lacks the tail wire, you'll have to use the reverse signal from the kick panel for the radio signal, and also the tail light for the camera's power leads.
Note that if your radio supports live camera viewing, you won't be able to utilize this camera for it because the camera will only be powered when in reverse.

I recently added a reverse camera to my truck as a Phase 1 project, and while it fits the immediate need, it's not the end product.  Because of the tire carrier, I made a bracket and ran the wires externally along the frame:

IMG-1638.jpg

IMG-1639.jpg

This setup is temporary, and I may even redo the camera mount to center it in the hub.  Phase 2 setup will require rewiring this camera completely as part of a quad-view setup using front, rear, and forward- and rear-facing undercarriage cameras for trail use.  The live views of those will probably make my wife throw up.

Thanks! That info definitely cleared up a lot.

That’s quite a setup you’re going to have there! I like it

I’d love the flush mount option on the tailgate under the Nissan badge but was also thinking about placing it on the short wall of the bumper under the lift gate. Seeing that it would be easier to drill through and it’s just the bumper not the body. I’m attaching a pic with two spots I circled that I’m thinking of.

But at the same time I have to see if there’s even any space behind there before I try that spot on the bumper. And then also check the spot on the tailgate to make sure it doesn’t interfere with the wiper linkage like you noted.

And I shouldn’t have problems with wire length. I’m looking at a Crux CUB-01 or a Crux CUB-15. Both of which come with 20 feet extension in addition to the length on the camera itself which is about 4 feet. And then 3 feet for power ground. I’m planning on pulling power straight from the reverse wire by the light.

045a49a6cb9c0913e14a4ec25f6447ba.jpg

Love that green...

The bumper spot won't be a good one, unfortunately.  There is body metal right behind that spot, and the bumper will block nearly half of the camera view because of the wide-angle lens.  Even on my setup, the lens picks up the edge of the rims (which is part of the reason I want to relocate it to the center hub.)

The spot above the license plate would be ideal if drilling through, though you'd probably want a style like the Crux CUL-03 instead, where the body of the camera is angled out.  The wide angle lens will just pick up everything in view along the horizon, but perhaps not be too practical for reverse use if it's not angled downward a little.   You'd just need to check if the image can be rotated 180° to support both vertical and horizontal (under) mounting.  Alternatively, Slart's suggestion of using one of the integrated license plate mount cameras would allow you do drill a concealed hole behind the plate...but either way, you'll be drilling a hole.

Yet another option is to mount an enclosed camera at the top of the lift gate, perhaps even mounted to the spoiler.  There's a significant amount of space to route the wires inside the weather strip without it getting pinched.  You could drill two small holes into the spoiler to undermount a CUL-10 style camera with adjustable bracket, or a fixed-mount lip style like the CUL-09 or CUL-06.   Double-sided adhesive would also be suitable, though I prefer mechanical fastening personally.   Wiring to that point is easy; I run my GMRS antenna wire out of the chassis along the weather strip.  @R50JR has his reverse camera mounted up top on his roof basket and it gives a good reverse view.

• Like 2

Love that green...

The bumper spot won't be a good one, unfortunately.  There is body metal right behind that spot, and the bumper will block nearly half of the camera view because of the wide-angle lens.  Even on my setup, the lens picks up the edge of the rims (which is part of the reason I want to relocate it to the center hub.)

The spot above the license plate would be ideal if drilling through, though you'd probably want a style like the Crux CUL-03 instead, where the body of the camera is angled out.  The wide angle lens will just pick up everything in view along the horizon, but perhaps not be too practical for reverse use if it's not angled downward a little.   You'd just need to check if the image can be rotated 180° to support both vertical and horizontal (under) mounting.  Alternatively, Slart's suggestion of using one of the integrated license plate mount cameras would allow you do drill a concealed hole behind the plate...but either way, you'll be drilling a hole.

Yet another option is to mount an enclosed camera at the top of the lift gate, perhaps even mounted to the spoiler.  There's a significant amount of space to route the wires inside the weather strip without it getting pinched.  You could drill two small holes into the spoiler to undermount a CUL-10 style camera with adjustable bracket, or a fixed-mount lip style like the CUL-09 or CUL-06.   Double-sided adhesive would also be suitable, though I prefer mechanical fastening personally.   Wiring to that point is easy; I run my GMRS antenna wire out of the chassis along the weather strip.  [mention=41155]R50JR[/mention] has his reverse camera mounted up top on his roof basket and it gives a good reverse view.

Thanks hawairish!

Yeah I did check after my last post, that bumper spot not plausible.

I’ll have to decide between the spot above license plate or around the spoiler area.

Maybe I’ll ask R50jr for a pic of his just for an idea. Maybe I can get a good view and avoid drilling the trunk. If not, trunk it is!

Thanks hawairish!

Yeah I did check after my last post, that bumper spot not plausible.

I’ll have to decide between the spot above license plate or around the spoiler area.

Maybe I’ll ask R50jr for a pic of his just for an idea. Maybe I can get a good view and avoid drilling the trunk. If not, trunk it is!

I’ll have to get the photo to you tomorrow. I didn’t have a chance to get in my pathfinder today.

Sent from my Pathfinder

@hawairish 4 Way Cams? Awesome! I’ve only wanted a reverse & forward undercarriage cam for about 18 years. I finally have a head unit that will accommodated 2 camera inputs & have just been waiting until the final rear setup is settled to mount them. After seeing[mention=41155]R50JR[/mention] Spoiler mount, I think I’ll go that direction & get it done this spring. How are you going to get the ability to have 4 camera inputs. As I’m often just with my kids these days, that sounds super attractive!

[mention=36148]hawairish[/mention] 4 Way Cams? Awesome! I’ve only wanted a reverse & forward undercarriage cam for about 18 years. I finally have a head unit that will accommodated 2 camera inputs & have just been waiting until the final rear setup is settled to mount them. After seeing[mention=41155]R50JR[/mention] Spoiler mount, I think I’ll go that direction & get it done this spring. How are you going to get the ability to have 4 camera inputs. As I’m often just with my kids these days, that sounds super attractive!

That setup hawairish has is easier said than done. I know he’s had fun time messing with it. My cam is mounted on my roof rack, but a spoiler mount would cool.

Sent from my Pathfinder

I installed my cam today. Placed it right above the rear license plate by drilling through the tailgate.

View and quality is pretty great. I’ll upload a pic tomorrow.

Man, you have some guts drilling through the metal. Would like to see a pic

Sent from my Pathfinder

Man, you have some guts drilling through the metal. Would like to see a pic

Sent from my Pathfinder

Yeah gonna post one tomorrow.

It was surprisingly easy and quick to cut through. The metal was probably as thick as a dime or about a penny I think. I was surprised.

Fishing that wire through the trunk frame and into the body frame to the reverse light ended up being the hardest part of the job for me.

5 hours ago, RainGoat said:

@hawairish 4 Way Cams? Awesome! I’ve only wanted a reverse & forward undercarriage cam for about 18 years. I finally have a head unit that will accommodated 2 camera inputs & have just been waiting until the final rear setup is settled to mount them. After seeing[mention=41155]R50JR[/mention] Spoiler mount, I think I’ll go that direction & get it done this spring. How are you going to get the ability to have 4 camera inputs. As I’m often just with my kids these days, that sounds super attractive!

4 hours ago, R50JR said:

That setup hawairish has is easier said than done. I know he’s had fun time messing with it. My cam is mounted on my roof rack, but a spoiler mount would cool.

Yeah, as R50JR knows, I struggled to find what I needed, or what was even practical, reasonably priced, and without a totally ambiguous product description.  And even then, I'm not super impressed with the stuff I ended up with, but it will do (most) of what I want it to and it was relatively inexpensive.

The center of it will be a Crimestopper VSMC-4000 4-camera quad-view switcher.  It can display several arrangements of 1 to 4 camera views simultaneously, supports input triggers, provides camera power signals, dual video output, IR remote and push-button selector.  Most units only had some of those features.  Information about it is so non-existent, that I couldn't even get Crimestopper to respond with information, and I just requested the instructions.  The instructions suck; none of the diagrams, ports, or wiring colors seem consistent.  The only way I know it'll work for me is because I wired nearly everything up on the bench, tested it, and took notes.

This is why I need to rewire my reverse light so that the VSMC-4000 powers it instead so that my radio can use it for reverse, and then use all the other cameras for live view.

For the undercarriage cameras, I plan to make some sort of mount/cradle that holds and protects both cameras.  I can't get the view I want unless the cameras are below the transmission crossmember, which makes them susceptible to damage because they'll be exposed.  So, the cradle will be designed to have some sort of spring load to it so that it can tuck upward if I drag it across rock or dirt.  I'd like to incorporate it into a transmission skid plate.  All this has yet to be designed.

1 hour ago, AR97Pathfinder said:

Yeah gonna post one tomorrow.

It was surprisingly easy and quick to cut through. The metal was probably as thick as a dime or about a penny I think. I was surprised.

Fishing that wire through the trunk frame and into the body frame to the reverse light ended up being the hardest part of the job for me.

Nice.  Yeah, fishing the wire was a bit of pain for me too, but I liked the results.  Looking forward (backwards?) to see the results.

I installed a backup cam in my Mom’s old Jeep Grand Cherokee. I ended up drilling a hole in the tailgate behind the license plate, painting the edges & putting a grommet in the hole to mostly seal it up. It worked pretty well for the couple years until it dropped its #4 valve seat & the hemi was no more.

Mounted mine in the center of my spare tire carrier so it is looking out of the center of my wheel. Works well enough over the last 15 or so years. Would be nice to have a lower one that can see my hitch for when I need to hook up to a trailer though. 

• Like 1