97 Pathfinder Tweeters not working?

AR97Pathfinder

So I got a new pioneer touchscreen double din system for my pathy and hooked it up today. 

Everything is great except, I noticed no sound coming from the tweeters by the windshield.

My vehicle has the Bose system with the amplifier and I got rid of the Bose deck several years ago when the cd and other components on it stopped working. I had installed a cheaper aftermarket. Now I decided to upgrade to something better.

So I can’t say for sure how long these two small speakers haven’t been working. If it’s since I originally changed the Bose or after. But I was checking today and no sound coming from it.

Otherwise, all door speakers are working and sound is great.

What could it be?

What did you use to integrate the aftermarket stereo into the Bose speaker system? Bose amp systems run much lower ohms than aftermarket stereos can drive well. How you handled it would probably explain the tweeter situation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It has been a while but same thing happened to me  a while back and had a blown out speaker as well.  Ended up installing speakers with integral tweeters.

Edited by CALPATHY

9 hours ago, colinnwn said:

What did you use to integrate the aftermarket stereo into the Bose speaker system? Bose amp systems run much lower ohms than aftermarket stereos can drive well. How you handled it would probably explain the tweeter situation.

I used the adapter kit for the wire harness to connect the Nissan wires with the aftermarket harness. One end plugs into the Nissan harness and the other end hardwires to the aftermarket harness. 

All wires in this case were hooked up. 

And did it have a box in the middle that let you adjust gain across multiple frequencies? That's what mine does, and what I'd expect of a proper Bose integration adapter.

Some aftermarket stereos can tolerate the 2 ohm load of Bose speaker systems but it frequently sounds tinny. Most aftermarket stereos expect a 4 or 8 ohm load from the speakers. That's the primary purpose of the right adapter.

Its possible your tweeters that old are blown, but my experience they generally outlast wolfers and midrange speakers. If the other speakers sound good with your setup, you could try putting a different band pass capacitor on the tweeter. They are mounted on the actual tweeter.

59 minutes ago, colinnwn said:

And did it have a box in the middle that let you adjust gain across multiple frequencies? That's what mine does, and what I'd expect of a proper Bose integration adapter.

Some aftermarket stereos can tolerate the 2 ohm load of Bose speaker systems but it frequently sounds tinny. Most aftermarket stereos expect a 4 or 8 ohm load from the speakers. That's the primary purpose of the right adapter.

Its possible your tweeters that old are blown, but my experience they generally outlast wolfers and midrange speakers. If the other speakers sound good with your setup, you could try putting a different band pass capacitor on the tweeter. They are mounted on the actual tweeter.

No, the one I had didn’t have that. Just a plain harness. I’ll look into the one you’re talking about. 

Do you recall the name by any chance? 

Also, I forgot to mention, when you turn off the vehicle or the source, you get a very slight muffle or pop noise. Didn’t happen before changing the radio yesterday. 

I used a Scotsche FAI-3. That model is discontinued but they make a new model as do other manufacturers.

That pop is a symptom of not having an integration adapter. I had it happen before I put one on my 1990 Maxima and 2001 Pathfinders with Bose before adding the adapters. Electronically I'm not sure what's happening, but I think it is ringing in the speaker driver circuit due to impedance mismatch. It would also sometimes happen when adjusting the volume quickly with the knob.

http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2009/06/installing-aftermarket-stereo-in-2001.html?m=1

1 hour ago, colinnwn said:

I used a Scotsche FAI-3. That model is discontinued but they make a new model as do other manufacturers.

That pop is a symptom of not having an integration adapter. I had it happen before I put one on my 1990 Maxima and 2001 Pathfinders with Bose before adding the adapters. Electronically I'm not sure what's happening, but I think it is ringing in the speaker driver circuit due to impedance mismatch. It would also sometimes happen when adjusting the volume quickly with the knob.

http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2009/06/installing-aftermarket-stereo-in-2001.html?m=1

Thanks for the help on that. Looks like I have to change the harness. 

Would the PAC ROEM- NIS2 wiring interface also work?  

I found it on Crutchfield. And it says to retain Bose amplifier in 94-2012 Nissan Infiniti vehicles. 

When you wired in your interface, was there two positive wires for each speaker? A high and a low? 

I was doing some research on the interface and I see people writing up about that. Because I know theres a positive and negative for each speaker, but how would you go about wiring if the interface has two positives and one negative for each speaker? 

Thanks 

I changed the wiring harness, using the PAC integration system. The popping symptoms upon turning off radio went away. 4 speakers are working, but the tweeters are still not working.  

I guess they are blown. Odd that they both went. I checked power at the tweeter plug in the pillar and there is power coming to it. Didnt check down by the speaker.

I forgot to go back to this when I was at a bigger computer. On the tweeter you should see a little capacitor to provide bandwidth filtering. Check to see if it looks bulged or damaged. It is very common for them to dry out and blow with age .

It could be just replacing that. If the capacitor looks fine, then you are probably right the tweeter cone is blown. But I'm surprised you wouldn't hear static or distortion rather than nothing .

• 2 weeks later...

Tweeters were definitely shot, didnt bother trying to repair anything, I just replaced the tweeters with a set of kickers and the system sounds a whole lot better. Cut a hole into the original spot and flush mounted them in. Removed the the plug harness from the old tweeters and wired into the new ones, so plugged right into the original port. 

Have a link to the pics of what I did with the tweeters along with the new stereo I put in. Also removed the cigarette lighter to get in a usb and aux port. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/HqnOtBD