Timing belt ? on Hybrid Vg30/33

Rockclymr

Ok, this may seem to be a silly question but just wanting to make sure before I blow the engine right after building it. Doing the typical VG30 to VG33 engine swap using the VG33 crank and VG30 cams.

The VG33 came out of a 2000 XTERRA 

Was looking up parts I still needed to order like head bolts, gasket set, etc. When I got to the timing belt noticed that the VG30 belt and the VG33 belt were different part #'s so was a little confused by that. I've read in several posts the cams are interchangeable with the VG30 having higher lift/duration but no where have I seen what timing belt was used in this setup. Maybe its the same belt sold under 2 different #'s  GATES TCK104 {#2521040}- VG30 vs GATES TCK249 {#2522490}-VG33. Anyway, obviously I'll be reusing the crank timing gear from the 33 but what about the belt and cam gears?

I meant to compare the cam gears today but got busy with other things but have to think they'd be the same. going to check regardless but still leaves me w the belt ?

I have not done this, nor do I recall, but there are some very specific threads on it that MAY have the info?

Check out Mr510's VG3.4 build, that may have it or lead to it. Best I got, hope it helps...

B

I'm going to probably PM him and ask about that since he just sent me out the crank adapter and some other items he did for this engine build.

Edited by Rockclymr
New information found after posting

The VG had square-tooth sprockets and belts up to mid '93. Later than that used round-tooth. Your '94 VG30 should have the same round-tooth sprockets as your VG33. If not, you should be able to just swap the sprockets from the 3.3 cams to the 3.0 cams.

It did have the round tooth belt so that was what was confusing me. Don't know why they had the square tooth even listed for the 94. Didn't even say it in the description anywhere so that's why I was wondering the difference in the belt #'s. Guess if I had researched a little more beforehand wouldn't be asking silly questions. Maybe just a little excited to get it all back together.. 

I bought the Pathy new, did some upgrades over the years (Rear air locker,3"BL, ARB bumper, roof rack, etc). My youngest boy drive it all through High school, We've had it underwater, buried in mud to the door handles, not babied it at all and when we pulled the motor last summer it had 370K miles on it w no major problems ever. Now doing this SAS and engine upgrade is kind of completing what I planned from the beginning. 

• Like 1

Yeah, sometimes the parts listings are weird. I accidentally bought VG33 intake gaskets (stamped steel) for my VG30 (which needed thicker gaskets with steel and rubber), because Rockauto listed them and I didn't know any better. That was a fun job to re-do.

Quite the long-term project you have there! Good luck with the swap and let us know how it goes. The 3.4 build thread Precise1 mentioned is here, and it's worth a read even you're not planning to bore yours out.