97 Pathfinder transfer case weeping

AR97Pathfinder

After spending a while under the pathy looking for the front end clunking noise I also discovered that some tranny fluid is weeping from the transfer case. It’s around two bolts at the bottom of it towards the middle. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/MxmWNos

Edited by AR97Pathfinder

5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

The service manual calls for sealant in between each section. Rule out a leaking drain plug, switch, sensor, something simple to fix before assuming it's more than that. Unless it's leaking enough to drip, I'd probably ignore it.

Going to change out the fluid on the transfer case this week with Castrol Transmax high mileage ATF. Has seal conditioners in it. 

So I check everywhere good. An no it’s not dripping. Who knows how long it’s been like that anyways. 

• 1 month later...
The service manual calls for sealant in between each section. Rule out a leaking drain plug, switch, sensor, something simple to fix before assuming it's more than that. Unless it's leaking enough to drip, I'd probably ignore it.

Well I changed the fluid after that last post. It’s still leaking ever so slightly. It’s actually coming from between the transmission and transfer case from what it looks like and then runs back a bit. I had cleaned it and checked back.

And how I know it’s the transfer case side of it and not transmission is because prior to changing the case fluid the old brown fluid used to leak. Now the color leaking is red like the fresh fluid.

I had originally thought it was coming from where the case itself separates but doesn’t look to be so.

Doesn’t seem to drip much. From October to now there’s about 5 drop spots on the ground. I don’t know if it leaks more while it’s driven.

I got a quote of around 300 bucks to drop the case and change the seals. Front, rear, and the one by the yoke for the front driveshaft. And will probably do the transmission rear also while at it. Don’t want to try this at home before I run into problems and then can’t even move the truck.

Anyone else ever had a case leak from that area before?

Was hoping to finish up my suspension work but I guess that’s on hold now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk