Snow Road Prep (rust from salt vs magnesium chloride)

v6tx

I am planning on some roadtrips in Dec & Jan, primarily to CO.

CO supposedly uses magnesium chloride to spray down roads rather than the typical salt mixtures further up North.

Still looking into this, but is it recommended to do any rustproofing before driving through this stuff?

I won't be in a position to be spraying it off immediately and don't want my components looking like they went through a Chicago winter.

2 hours ago, v6tx said:

CO supposedly uses magnesium chloride to spray down roads rather than the typical salt mixtures further up North.

Still looking into this, but is it recommended to do any rustproofing before driving through this stuff?

I won't be in a position to be spraying it off immediately and don't want my components looking like they went through a Chicago winter.

@PathyGig12

3 hours ago, v6tx said:

Been driving in Colorado now for around 5 years with no corrosion issues so far. Before moving here I did some minor undercoating, but nothing too extensive. 

I have heard that the magnesium chloride is definitely worse than salt though. It won’t rust out your truck instantly but probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to spray down the undercarriage a few times while visiting 

• Like 1

When you get to a do it yourself car wash just spray liberally all over. Have been driving around Montana roads with salt and other with no real rust issues. Be sure to clean up over rear tire fenders and there is a spot just in front of rear tires that holds mud and dirt. Spray lots. 

Edited by MTGunner

On 11/19/2020 at 9:19 PM, RainGoat said:

I wonder if this isn’t a good mission for some of those temporary preps like FilmFluid?

I agree. Haven’t tried it as mine was under coated from new, but have heard good things about the oil-based spray on products. I’ll be using Rust Check when I’ve replaced all the rusty panels.