Help My Bulging Hose, ID please? Thanks

92SEPathFindr

Please help ID this coolant hose?  Part number would be great ...Rock Auto if possible.  Today it has a pin hole leak and it has been bulging for a while.  Maybe it IS NOT a “formed” hose and I can use a generic inside diameter hose to replace this one.  If so, what is the size hose to buy?  It appears to be about five inches long. It looks like I will be able to cut out the old one and then slip the new one on without removing other parts.  Anyone have experience buying, removing, and replacing this little hose?   Thanks very much!  Aaron 

https://imgur.com/gallery/hOtEs6c

Edited by 92SEPathFindr
Attempting to add 3 photos

Attempting to add photos here friends.  It's the small hose with the flashlight focused on it.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/hOtEs6c"  ><a href="//imgur.com/a/hOtEs6c">1992 Nissan Pathfinder SE water hose ID please?</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hey bro

I've got a 92 SE and have that pipe off right now.

Measured the pipe and it's 1.5" ID.

My hose is pretty soft ? but it looks like a "stretched" 1.625 inches.

Rock auto sells it by the foot: Gates 24026

I can try and upload pics if you like, might be easier if I dm them or something

Edited by Sassafrasparilla
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sassafrasparilla said:

Hey bro

I've got a 92 SE and have that pipe off right now.

Measured the pipe and it's 1.5".

My hose is pretty soft ? but it looks like a "stretched" 1.5 inches.

I can try and upload pics if you like, might be easier to dm them or something

16 minutes ago, Sassafrasparilla said:

You'll want to replace your timing belt if it's been contaminated with any coolant.

If so, you can do your water pump and thermostat at the same time.

Good Luck!

Okay right, I have ordered and received a timing belt kit, water pump, thermostat, and new belts to do the whole deal at once.  I'm hoping to replace this hose myself and buy a little time before I ask a shop to do the other work (timig belt, etc).  Do you think i can slip in a new hose to replace this failing one?  Thanks again,  Aaron

You might have enough room, but it'll get pretty messy.

It would be easier if you remove your fan, shroud, and drain your coolant.

Then unbolt the metal pipe attached to the bottom of your bulging hose so you'll have some flex.

Probably much easier to do the rest of the jobs while its all open. That's what I'm doing right now in my driveway in the pouring rain. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sassafrasparilla said:

You might have enough room, but it'll get pretty messy.

It would be easier if you remove your fan, shroud, and drain your coolant.

Then unbolt the metal pipe attached to the bottom of your bulging hose so you'll have some flex.

Probably much easier to do the rest of the jobs while its all open. That's what I'm doing right now in my driveway in the pouring rain. ?

Hey thanks very much for your help with this.  I'm not able to work on the vehicle on the property (small property neighborhood rules, etc) and I'll probably hand it off to local shop.  The last estimate I got for the necessary jobs with me supplying the part was about $850.  I'm okay with that yet I wish i had total confidence in a shop and was okay with the quoted price. 

In your experience, does the timing belt fit on intuitively or are there difficult aspects to it like some have.  I remember mid 80s Subarus were a little tricky.  Hey thanks again and good luck with your work and in that rain.  Take care, Aaron

Wow! Yeah, that's a hell of a bulge. I replaced mine with straight hose when I did my timing belt. The belt job isn't bad. There's a whole song and dance in the manual for setting tension that I skipped and did by feel following a tutorial on here, IIRC it boiled down to putting an Allen wrench in the tensioner, pointing it more or less at the crank, tightening the tensioner nut to lock it, then making sure the belt was still slack enough to twist 90° by hand. Getting the cam sprockets off to do the seals meant making a special tool, but you can also use the old belt and vise grips. Replace everything you can while you're in there, it's not a horrible job but it's not one you want to do again because the one part you thought looked alright fails as soon as you put it back together.

It is a big job, but for $850 USD plus parts, it's something to consider.

You'll need a few uncommon tools that you may be able to rent or borrow.

This is my first timing belt, so it's taking me a while, but it's pretty simple once you understand it.

You could probably do it in a parking lot somewhere if you have all the tools/supplies/info and another vehicle to go buy the weird things you weren't expecting to need! Just take lots of pics and label stuff so you remember how to reinstall it.

We're all here to walk you through it, if need be! ?

Best of luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Update, the work is done )a couple months ago now) :itsallgood:.  Found a reliable and reasonable local shop who did the whole job (timing belt and seals, new radiator & hoses, thermostat, water pump, belts, bypass hose, filled coolant, and replaced the brake master cylinder with a new one) for $560 in labor.  I supplied the parts and found two shops that won't use parts they don't provide.  So, they had the pathfinder a few days total and did a great job all told.  Thanks to all the friendly help adamzan, Sassafrasparilla, Slartibartfast ! 

https://imgur.com/gallery/XjrW3Y3<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/XjrW3Y3"  ><a href="//imgur.com/a/XjrW3Y3">1992 Nissan Pathfinder SE Repairs</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gle3RfR.jpg

Edited by 92SEPathFindr
grammer
  • Like 2