Barnfind R50 road to rescue.

Kr50

12 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Probably just a bad pump. I have replaced a few where the motor runs, but the impeller is bad. 

i have checked for power at the pump connector and theres 0 Power

On 11/9/2020 at 3:37 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Looks like the fuel pump itself has white/blue and black wires. Black goes to body ground, white/blue goes through two fuel pump relays for some reason, through a 15a fuse, to the battery. EL-698 of the '02 manual has the wiring diagram. Check for power at the fuse, then at the first relay, then at the second relay, make sure both relays are clicking. If you have power to a relay, but it's not clicking, and the relay itself tests good, check for signal. Looks like Relay 2 is controlled by ignition signal (key on, relay on) and Relay 1 is switched by the ECM. If Relay 2 has no signal, I'd expect some kind of wiring fault; if relay 1 has no signal, I'd wonder if some anti-theft bollocks in the ECM might be playing up. Looks like one is switched on the positive side and the other is switched on the negative side, so keep that in mind while you're testing.

You can get the EL section here. The diagram I'm looking at is on EL-698. There should be a "location of electrical units" or "harness layout" diagram somewhere in there showing the locations of the relays, ground points, and connectors. The fuse box diagram showing which fuses are which (they're numbered in the electrical diagrams, not labelled, because everyone likes an extra layer of BS in between you and the thing you're looking for) is in the foldout.

The pump only needs 12v across the white/blue and black to run, so if it turns out to be a wiring issue, you could just hotwire it to get it going (or at least to test it). If the anti-theft is what's locking it out, though, you might not have spark or injector pulse either.

So im in the process of testing and found out relay 2 (passenger side) is working and clicking as well. Seems like i have no power to the relay 2( drivers side). I bypassed the relay by connecting 2 points together and fuel pump is working. But i still have crank but no start

As for the security system, it blinks without key and stays on when ign on. Im thinking its supposed to go off when ign is on. Is there a way to bypass the security system?

As for the security system, it blinks without key and stays on when ign on. Im thinking its supposed to go off when ign is on. Is there a way to bypass the security system?

My understanding is that the security system on the R50 is built in to the point where you're pretty much stuck working with it, but I've never messed with one. If the no-start started when the computer came back, the problem might be there--either something wasn't repaired right, or the rebuilder sent the wrong one back.

Have you tried checking for codes? I doubt the average scanner would tell you why the security system is pissed, or let you fix it, but I'd be curious to compare what the computer thinks the VIN is to what the dashboard says it is.

It may need to spend some time with someone who's got the right scanner to get into the security system. Or a locksmith might be able to do something with it? I dunno, we're well outside of my experience here.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:33 PM, Slartibartfast said:

My understanding is that the security system on the R50 is built in to the point where you're pretty much stuck working with it, but I've never messed with one. If the no-start started when the computer came back, the problem might be there--either something wasn't repaired right, or the rebuilder sent the wrong one back.

Have you tried checking for codes? I doubt the average scanner would tell you why the security system is pissed, or let you fix it, but I'd be curious to compare what the computer thinks the VIN is to what the dashboard says it is.

It may need to spend some time with someone who's got the right scanner to get into the security system. Or a locksmith might be able to do something with it? I dunno, we're well outside of my experience here.

thats my thought as well and i have sent the car off to the dealership to reprogram or reset the the security system. I could not connect any of my equipment to read codes. i tried it with my neighbor's Autel reader and no luck. it just wouldn't connect. so i swapped the ecu to the used one i got and still no luck. Today the dealership tells me they are trying to read codes but no luck. but they are still working on it. hopefully its not a big issue

On 11/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, RainGoat said:

The security system can throw a code as well. When I’ve accidentally started it with the key without the chip it gives a code I can read with my generic OBDII readers

wish i could even connect my reader. i get no codes and no connection to the car.

Hmm. Sounds like either the computer is right proper borked, or it's got a wiring fault that means the computer isn't getting power. Two computers having the same issue makes me think wiring. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out. If not, I'd unplug the computer, figure out which pins are supposed to be power and ground, and see if one (or more) of them isn't giving the computer what it needs. If you don't mind doing a little digging in the service manual, you should be able to work out where those wires go, where ground points are, and which connectors to check.

14 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Hmm. Sounds like either the computer is right proper borked, or it's got a wiring fault that means the computer isn't getting power. Two computers having the same issue makes me think wiring. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out. If not, I'd unplug the computer, figure out which pins are supposed to be power and ground, and see if one (or more) of them isn't giving the computer what it needs. If you don't mind doing a little digging in the service manual, you should be able to work out where those wires go, where ground points are, and which connectors to check.

Just heard from the Dealer. they found out one of the pins in the ecm were bent, after straightening it and plugging it back in started right up. finally some good news today. will be picking it up after work. thanks alot for all the help. will report back on how everything goes.

• Like 1