Oil pan replacement. 3.5

snow4me

I have a pretty bad oil pan leak, it's very rusty. I was thinking about using Rock auto and getting their premium pan which "meets or exceeds" OEM. I don't really care too much, just as long as it does its job. My question is.... do I order a pan gasket or use RTV??? Thanks!!

I would definitely use a quality gasket and rtv. Is this upper or lower pan? I would do the same for both. No way I would just use rtv.

Edited by Funpath01
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 12:42 AM, Funpath01 said:

I would definitely use a quality gasket and rtv. Is this upper or lower pan? I would do the same for both. No way I would just use rtv.

Lower pan to start. I had a buddy that would use the gaskets with Indian head shellac to glue the gasket to the pan and just bare gasket against to block surface. That was his go to.

Every pan I do I just use black permatex RTV and never have any leaks. The wd21 pans come with 2 small gaskets at each end the rest is liquid sealant. I would assume the r50 is the same as my VW with the 2 piece oil pan. I used RTV on that as well with no issues.

• Like 1

Well, I climbed under the pathfinder and wiped off the lower pan, definitely leaking from the lower pan up by the flange. It's pretty bad. I'm not sure if a pan has ever been done on it before, it had 175,000 miles on it but there was no gasket that I could see, just RTV. Also noticed my LH inner tie rod boot was all torn up so I need that as well as the clamps. Stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...