Engine oil leak question

aoist

I have a 2003 pathfinder with a moderate oil leak under the engine somewhere. So here is the  question  Would rear main seal leak continue after sitting over night. It would seem to me like if the engine is not running,  there shouldn’t 'be a leak. Am I wrong?

Thanks

The rear main seal is rarely the source of your leak on the VQ35. Most often it is the oil cooler O-ring, followed by the valve covers. If your leak is actually low and at the rear of the engine, then it is more likely the upper oil pan lip seal under the rear main. The pan can be resealed with the engine in the car and the trans in place, but it is a bit tedious and if 4wd, requires removing the front axle. A vehicle lift makes it a lot easier too. 

It’s probably a few things. Rear main seal along with upper oil pan gasket and oil cooler are big problem areas. I paid a grand to have my rear main seal replaced. You have to remember after you park your Pathy the bellhousing is going to drip for a while if it’s a rear main even tho it’s not running.  Mine is at 247k miles and it used to drip a lot. Like leave a puddle under the car and I was adding oil all the time. I had the rear main replaced and now it’s a slow drip. I replaced the oil cooler o rings myself.

Edited by Funpath01

I don’t think the rear main seal would leak overnight since from experience I removed my rear main seal and upper pan seal with it, without even draining the oil pan. Not a drop spilled out through the opening. You probably have residue that leaked when driving that settles and runs down the back of the block

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsTQm6L1QIoAhOJnmgyLOzuaHmGG-A