EVAP P0440 P0446

Strato_54

I keep getting a check engine light for a P0440 and P0446. I have checked gas cap and it appears to be fine. The car has only been legally on the road for about a month and a bit and has since then starting doing this. I have checked off the valve next to the throttle body that there aren't major cracks but not sure what else to check. the car runs perfectly fine no idle stumble no loss of power the light just comes on i clear it and then it stays off for about a week on average. Not sure where to go from here and hoping its something cheap and easy i can fix myself. 

With no drivability problems, I doubt the purge valve is causing problems. Without a smoke machine, it is often hard to find the leak. All I can say is to inspect the hoses, and steel vent lines running from the fuel tank to the purge valve under the hood for cracks or holes. The lines from the fuel tank to the carbon canister, the fuel filler neck, the fuel tank, carbon canister, and the vent valve. Most common I have seen is a bad fuel cap, followed by a vent valve that won't seal when closed. 

54 minutes ago, Mr_Reverse said:

With no drivability problems, I doubt the purge valve is causing problems. Without a smoke machine, it is often hard to find the leak. All I can say is to inspect the hoses, and steel vent lines running from the fuel tank to the purge valve under the hood for cracks or holes. The lines from the fuel tank to the carbon canister, the fuel filler neck, the fuel tank, carbon canister, and the vent valve. Most common I have seen is a bad fuel cap, followed by a vent valve that won't seal when closed. 

when i pop the fuel cap it does release pressure when i open it if that helps any. i forgot to mention that also. ill look under when its not raining but for the most part its only showing up as a check engine light thats really annoying.

EDIT: technically I do have a smoke machine..... one of those Halloween ones if that would work lmao

Edited by Strato_54

Odds are that it is the vent valve that is your problem. That is the valve mounted on the carbon canister. You can remove it and try blowing through it. It should flow easily. Then apply 12v to the valve, it should click and not allow you to blow through it at all.

Have no idea if you could use a Halloween smoke generator to find leaks, don't know what kind of smoke they make. If you can figure out how to put a hose on it and connect it to the line that goes to the purge solenoid and it can create about 1 psi of pressure, it should show where the leak is if there is one. 

2 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Odds are that it is the vent valve that is your problem. That is the valve mounted on the carbon canister. You can remove it and try blowing through it. It should flow easily. Then apply 12v to the valve, it should click and not allow you to blow through it at all.

Have no idea if you could use a Halloween smoke generator to find leaks, don't know what kind of smoke they make. If you can figure out how to put a hose on it and connect it to the line that goes to the purge solenoid and it can create about 1 psi of pressure, it should show where the leak is if there is one. 

next time i get up to my shop this week ill try pulling it off and playing with it. if thats not the problem then what would it be? just a hose leak then? 

I think its a sort of vapour because you put in the special liquid and then it sprays that. but it doesnt feel wet at all so its some sort of dry vapor i think. ill look it up and see what comes up.