New R51 owner what do I need to do?

Hober

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2011 pathfinder St-L. I fell in love with the look of the car and got a pretty good price for it. I had done a bit of research before buying and the mechanic said it was in great condition. But after some deeper digging I started reading more into the R51's and their potential problems and it got me worrying. I found this incredible forum and thought I might be able to get some advice on here.

My wife and I are moving to a fairly remote area with a lot of sand tracks and dirt roads so would like to do everything possible to keep it running as smoothly as possible. I have read up on the problems such as SMOD, rusty back wheel thingies and the timing belt and am doing what I can to prevent these issues.

So essentially what I am asking is; What issues do I need to watch out for and what can I do to make sure these don't arise?

Also I am looking at getting a roof basket/storage of some sort so if anyone has any affordable suggestions in Australia, that would be hugely appreciated.

I had a look and couldn't find a similar question but apologise if there is.

thanks in advance,

Joe 

• Like 1

The R51 is pretty reliable.

My main recommendation would be to bypass the in radiator transmission lines. I've done this with mine. Took about ten minutes to reroute the trans fluid lines to bypass the radiator and only run through the factory external trans cooler.

If yours doesn't have an external trans cooler I would also recommend fitting one at the same time.

I believe both the petrol and diesel engines used have timing chains not belts so shouldn't hav any problems there. Just use high quality oil and service religiously.

When purchasing any secondhand vehicle I always like to get all the fluids changed (coolant, brakes, diffs, gearbox and transfer) to ensure I know exactly what's in there. Personally I run Penrite oils in my r51.

The penrite ATF covers both Nismatic D and J standards. The transfer case takes D standard ATF and the trans takes J standard.

Other than requiring a couple of O2 sensors and catalytic converters, and one exhaust manifold cracking, my r51 VQ40DE has been totally reliable from brand new (my father bought it new in 2007) to its current 200,000 kms.

A lot of what you hear online is disgruntled owners who've had problems. When maintained properly a Japanese vehicle should be very reliable.

• Like 2

I would also recommend upgrading suspension. I run 35 mm King lift springs, standard rate, with Bilstein dampers. Very good all round package.

King springs can be bought cheaply off Ebay.

Bilstein shocks can be bought for a very good price off Rockauto.com

I use Rockauto to source almost all of my parts.

BWSVOr4.jpg

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for the reply Kiwi. It was really reassuring.

I will have a look at the radiator setup and make those alterations you suggested.

I have also got it booked in to get fluids changed.

It also has upgraded suspension already so I'm good in that area.

Your R51 is one good looking vehicle

I'll pay the picture tax once I've set up my imgur account

• Like 1