Gas Leak from Canister area

Need some help here, on my 97 Pathfinder I was smelling some gas in the cabin while driving this evening. It was smelling very high from the trunk area at back. And I mean very high smell as if you were filling gas at the station. 

Checked underneath and didn’t see any gas leaking from lines. However, I decided to check by evap canister and some gas and a lot of vapor was coming out from a tube like vent right after the canister.  This is while engine was running. 

If it was from the vent hose, it means you have fuel in the carbon canister, and that leads to problems with the evap system. The raw fuel causes the carbon to break down and then bits of the carbon goes into the lines and prevents the purge and vent valves from sealing. That is usually caused by over filling the fuel tank. 

Can the vacuum cut valve and bypass valve cause this issue? I had a smoke test done on the vehicle last month and changed a line that had caused a P1441 code to come on a time before. No leaks in any other hose or line. 

Now since last week when the gasoline vapors began coming out the vent hose the code came on again. P1441

The gas vapors doesn't always come out the vent hose and when it does sometimes more than other times. 

I'm chasing a similar issue on mine, no dtc's though. Pulled the whole evap system apart this weekend and couldn't find anything wrong other than a possibly sticky vacuum cut valve. I cleaned the valve some and it seemed to help a bit, gonna work on finding a new or better used one however.

My theory is the valve is allowing excess pressure to build (and vacuum as I'm getting vapor lock at idle when it drops below a quarter tank). My charcoal canister is probably pretty used up at 211k but it still weighs under 4 lbs (3.8). I was going to swap it with one from a junkyard but learned that 03's have a much bigger vent line coming off the tank and into the can vs my 01. Makes me wonder why they changed it...

Yeah I’m changing out those two parts at the back with new ones. Didn’t see anything else wrong either and had done a smoke test a month prior to find a leaking line. System was holding pressure because you can hear when removing gas cap. Until out of nowhere it started leaking from there one evening. 

I’m hesitant to think it could be charcoal canister because I replaced it a few years back already with oem one. 

• 3 years later...
On 10/18/2020 at 6:17 PM, AR97Pathfinder said:

Can the vacuum cut valve and bypass valve cause this issue? I had a smoke test done on the vehicle last month and changed a line that had caused a P1441 code to come on a time before. No leaks in any other hose or line. 

Now since last week when the gasoline vapors began coming out the vent hose the code came on again. P1441

The gas vapors doesn't always come out the vent hose and when it does sometimes more than other times. 

Where you able to get this issue resolved?

Chris.