My '87 auto (three speed) SE has just lost its ability to reverse. The gear engages, but as I let my foot off the brake it just lurches at the point the truck would (normally) start moving back and stalls. If I keep 50% pressure on the brake, I can get it to creep back slowly, riding that threshold before it stalls. All three forward gears work fine.

Interestingly, switching the transfer case to 4L and the auto gearbox to R, it works somewhat. There’s a rough judder as I let my foot off the brake at the point that it stalls in 2H, but then I’m able to use the accelerator freely to reverse in 4L. Switching the transfer case to N and the gearbox to R, the engine revs without issue.

Has anyone come across an issue like this before? I’m in the wilds of northern BC 1500km from home, and my main concern at this point is making it back to Vancouver without triggering anything further. There aren't any mechanics up here who can take a look at it, but chatting with an auto wizard friend back home it's unlike most of the transmission issues he’s come across. We're totally baffled.

Edited by flickertheory

Obvious, but have you checked the fluid level with the engine running in park?

Reverse is normally the first indication of failure on an automatic transmission, being slow or failing to select reverse is usually a warning sign. 

• Like 1

When the 4 speed in my 93 died, the first gear to go was reverse. In my case, no warning and it was complete. It worked one morning on the way to work, then at lunch, reverse was simply not there anymore. In my case, it acted like it was in neutral. Over the next few weeks, 1st, 2nd, and 4th disappeared leaving me with just 3rd. The transmission shop was impressed that my truck made it in under its own power. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys, appreciate the ideas! The AT fluid is new (~4000km) but was on the low side, although a top-up hasn't changed anything. Speaking with my friend, we think it might in fact not be a transmission issue at all. Will update this once I've found out more...