Random issue with starter alternator or ignition switch

Terrhino

Jumped in my truck after work today and my truck seemed like it had a batt flattery so I chucked a 800cca battery pack on still no luck was just the odd click and a slow wind so tapped the starter an it started to wind a little faster but back to nothing and a click

Haven't had this issue before and the starters are a prick to get to 

Any one have any ideas before I go guns blazing with a big hammer 

Have read about a relay an ignition  switch but wondering if there's something along to road towards alternator also

Ps my truck loves rolling in mud an water but does get a good steam clean after followed by a bitta wd40 

Cheers in advance

Cleaned my terminals and changed clamps as mine were garbage and also charged up battery ready for tommorow as I have a new starter coming but just curious to know if the crap starter could drain my battery? Or if that would be something else as I have left the key on a couple of times in the past cheers, 

As I say I haven't had this issue with my other rannos but as they say there's a first for everything

????

• 2 months later...

I have had both bad starters and a failing ignition switch. I did things the hard way and replaced the starter a couple times when it was just the switch. 

You didn't mention if it was an auto trans or manual trans. If manual trans, there is a double size blue relay near the battery that is known to fail over time. It is the starter relay for the manual trans trucks. If auto trans, near the battery is a grey oval 2 wire connector. One wire is black with a violet stripe. That is the starter wire. A simple test is to unplug that  connector and using a jumper wire, jump the black/violet wire to the positive terminal of the battery. If the starter cranks normally, then your problem is most likely a worn ignition switch. If it is still a slow or no crank, then the starter is bad.