The_Oregonian’s ‘02 Build Thread

The_Oregonian

On 11/30/2020 at 11:07 AM, RainGoat said:

Can you PM me a link. I prefer RIGd => Wilco => Detours in that order. If I can’t find a used one for a reasonable price, I would probably buy what you did as I want it for Tire/HiLift/RotoPax & Wilco has the best price/utility ratio new. I would probably use a different plate relocator as I’d like to have something with an LED that I can just keep in place with or without the swingate - possibly a ladder mount for the 4Runner.

Forgot to mention PM sent...

Totally agree on that order too. Would have love a RIGd but it was cost prohibitive for me.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 8:37 AM, The_Oregonian said:

I can appreciate that.

I also thought long and hard about this, and debated trying to track down an OEM tire carrier as well. My situation is that I don’t have a garage or even driveway and live in a neighborhood in the city. I decided I didn’t want to struggle drill into the body of the car out on the street as cars are passing by and my neighbors are walking the dogs.. Particularly in the middle of the rainy season here in the Pacific NW. This seemed like the best solution for me at this time. Not only that but having the option for bolt-on rotopax mounts for spare fuel was appealing as well and with the OEM mount you’d be talking about custom welding etc which is out for me. You’re mileage may vary.

Note as well the price was not over 1k - more like $750. On top of that since this is a relatively universal product I figure I can easily sell it for not a big loss if I decide to go a different direction in the future.

You're totally right. I hadn't thought about the resale value on it. Surely some Toyota guy will be all over it when it's time to let it go and it'll sell quickly. Like @RainGoat mentioned he has towndawg to help him with his build, just like I have hawairish to give me a hand, which I am super grateful for. I think if we didn't have these pathfinder masterminds able and willing to help, we'd be screwed and our builds wouldn't be where they are today. Again, I respect you decision and hope it works perfectly for your needs. I am hopeful that when this pandemic is over, the SW guys can get together for a PNW trip and it would be great to meet you and everyone else up there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, R50JR said:

You're totally right. I hadn't thought about the resale value on it. Surely some Toyota guy will be all over it when it's time to let it go and it'll sell quickly. Like @RainGoat mentioned he has towndawg to help him with his build, just like I have hawairish to give me a hand, which I am super grateful for. I think if we didn't have these pathfinder masterminds able and willing to help, we'd be screwed and our builds wouldn't be where they are today. Again, I respect you decision and hope it works perfectly for your needs. I am hopeful that when this pandemic is over, the SW guys can get together for a PNW trip and it would be great to meet you and everyone else up there.

Thanks bud!

And yeah that would be awesome if you guys can make it up here! I know @PathyDude17 isn’t too far away either :) 

Ive always wanted to explore AZ as well!

• Like 1

Thanks bud!

And yeah that would be awesome if you guys can make it up here! I know [mention=41900]PathyDude17[/mention] isn’t too far away either  

Ive always wanted to explore AZ as well!

Az is real dusty and fun. Raingoat can attest to the dust. I was out there this past weekend running some blm trails. The sandy washes are definitely my favorite part.

Sent from my Pathfinder
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. The Wilco dual rotopax bracket, license plate relocation bracket, and rotopax pack mounts, fuel cans, and a water can came in a couple of weeks ago. Finally had time and good weather today to mount them up to the Wilco Hitchgate:

EEvBUyP.jpg

FYRfYFz.jpg

jVgjHvj.jpg

The next project will be to figure out a way to wire in some LED bolt lights I got to use as license plate lights. Anyone know a good way to get some wires inside the cargo area from underneath? May have to drill but we’ll see...

Also got a chance to head up to Mount Hood for a little snowshoeing last weekend. First chance to try everything out in the snow. There wasn’t a ton of snow until the last 1/4 mile or so on dirt roads but these tires seemed to hook up very well and there was almost no slipping. So far very pleased with the build and looking forward to more winter outings in the next couple of months! 

2nchdt6.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The_Oregonian said:

Quick update. The Wilco dual rotopax bracket, license plate relocation bracket, and rotopax pack mounts, fuel cans, and a water can came in a couple of weeks ago. Finally had time and good weather today to mount them up to the Wilco Hitchgate:

EEvBUyP.jpg

FYRfYFz.jpg

jVgjHvj.jpg

The next project will be to figure out a way to wire in some LED bolt lights I got to use as license plate lights. Anyone know a good way to get some wires inside the cargo area from underneath? May have to drill but we’ll see...

Also got a chance to head up to Mount Hood for a little snowshoeing last weekend. First chance to try everything out in the snow. There wasn’t a ton of snow until the last 1/4 mile or so on dirt roads but these tires seemed to hook up very well and there was almost no slipping. So far very pleased with the build and looking forward to more winter outings in the next couple of months! 

2nchdt6.jpg

If you remove the plastic tray/storage compartment underneath the floor mat in the cargo area, there should be a rubber boot in the floor pan that has the wiring for the trailer hitch wire harness if you have the tow package from the factory. I used that rubber boot to route wires from my backup lights in the rear bumper and into the cab of the vehicle. Then seal it off with some silicone so water doesn't intrude.

22 minutes ago, 02_Pathy said:

If you remove the plastic tray/storage compartment underneath the floor mat in the cargo area, there should be a rubber boot in the floor pan that has the wiring for the trailer hitch wire harness if you have the tow package from the factory. I used that rubber boot to route wires from my backup lights in the rear bumper and into the cab of the vehicle. Then seal it off with some silicone so water doesn't intrude.

Perfect! I figured there must be a way in but this will save me some time.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I believe those useless plastic hooks pass through as well. You could feed it through one of them or pull the plastic & put a grommet in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I did a thing with the second stimulus money, and got a new Apple CarPlay capable head unit. Went with a Sony XAV-AX5000 off a recommendation from another guy in a local overlanding group.

I completed the install today and am pretty pleased with the results. I have 21st century tech now, and the sound quality is significantly improved over the factory unit. 

WQEBsIo.jpg

The nice thing, and one of the motivating factors is that Gaia GPS works with CarPlay which should come in handy while off grid..

pvUuhd5.jpg

I also went with a backup camera. I couldn’t really get perfect placement for the camera with the Wilco spare tire carrier back there, but I mainly wanted to be able to see where my tire and hitch/shackle were if I’m in a tight space. Ended up placing the camera where most new factory cameras would go. Again the view isn’t perfect but it’ll get the job done...

mkcpgPP.jpg

rVPfFaZ.jpg

It was a total pain running the camera wire through the hatch and through the rubber conduit that connects the body to the hatch wiring but I got through it.

• Like 4

So I did a thing with the second stimulus money, and got a new Apple CarPlay capable head unit. Went with a Sony XAV-AX5000 off a recommendation from another guy in a local overlanding group.

I completed the install today and am pretty pleased with the results. I have 21st century tech now, and the sound quality is significantly improved over the factory unit. 

WQEBsIo.jpg

The nice thing, and one of the motivating factors is that Gaia GPS works with CarPlay which should come in handy while off grid..

pvUuhd5.jpg

I also went with a backup camera. I couldn’t really get perfect placement for the camera with the Wilco spare tire carrier back there, but I mainly wanted to be able to see where my tire and hitch/shackle were if I’m in a tight space. Ended up placing the camera where most new factory cameras would go. Again the view isn’t perfect but it’ll get the job done...

mkcpgPP.jpg

rVPfFaZ.jpg

It was a total pain running the camera wire through the hatch and through the rubber conduit that connects the body to the hatch wiring but I got through it.

Turned out great! I recommend using gaia on the HU around town before getting out on a trail. My kenwood also has CarPlay but the app on the HU is not very useful. I added an 8” samsung tablet strictly for nav.

Sent from my Pathfinder

6 minutes ago, R50JR said:

Turned out great! I recommend using gaia on the HU around town before getting out on a trail. My kenwood also has CarPlay but the app on the HU is not very useful. I added an 8” samsung tablet strictly for nav.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

I’ll be curious to see how Gaia works for you on a head unit. I’ve used it about 3 years on an iPad. I’d recommend Gaia but the download limitations on MapBox products are very annoying. The biggest PITA to any of my trips is downloading maps for off-grid use.

Here’s just one thread that talks about the issue - it’s unclear to me how this will impact a head unit.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360000809607-Can-t-download-MapBox-Streets-HD-map

4 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I’ll be curious to see how Gaia works for you on a head unit. I’ve used it about 3 years on an iPad. I’d recommend Gaia but the download limitations on MapBox products are very annoying. The biggest PITA to any of my trips is downloading maps for off-grid use.

Here’s just one thread that talks about the issue - it’s unclear to me how this will impact a head unit.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360000809607-Can-t-download-MapBox-Streets-HD-map

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up, and I'll do my best to keep everyone posted there. I'll definitely play with the app on the head unit before trying to rely on it while off grid. 

• Like 1

If you need to download, my pearl of wisdom for Gaia is to load the Satellite layers separately as they’re the most likely to hit the cap. Also, if you’ve downloaded an area you’re unlikely to go back to anytime soon, at least delete the satellite imagery to give you more room before the 100K cap. If the download is hanging up for unknown reasons, it’s probably the MapBox cap. I wish they would just build into it a warning that said “This cannot be downloaded as it will exceed the MapBox Tile Limit”. It took me way too long to figure this out. I tend to aimlessly wander so I like having a large area in great detail.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

She performed flawlessly on the first camping trip of the season. Went out to Central Oregon. I did a little light off-roading - in addition to finding a great camping spot my daily car would have never been able to get to.

In the off-roading portion the Pathy could perform beyond my confidence level being my first off-road vehicle. I’ll probably slow down with mods for a bit as I push my own limits and find out what it needs next for my uses. 

dpCSVx6.jpg

YqeeVDA.jpg

lzBidl2.jpg

3CB5vNt.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, msavides said:

Nice to see some recent Build threads still happening. 

Good Work

Thank you!

How are things down in Southern Oregon these days? I lived in Medford for several years but haven't been back for a few years...

How are things down in Southern Oregon these days? I lived in Medford for several years but haven't been back for a few years...

You’ll have to give me some local pearls of wisdom as I’ll be spending some time down there for a while. Previously, I’ve largely just driven through & of course I’ve driven the Rogue, the coast, Crater Lk, etc.

9 hours ago, RainGoat said:

You’ll have to give me some local pearls of wisdom as I’ll be spending some time down there for a while. Previously, I’ve largely just driven through & of course I’ve driven the Rogue, the coast, Crater Lk, etc.

Absolutely! I’ll send you a PM.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Super easy mod but maybe this is helpful to the community for those with the non-motorized antenna.

I was a little annoyed at the huge factory antenna getting caught and rattling around on branches in narrow trails. Started looking around for options but I wasn’t able to find any aftermarket short antennas listed for R50’s but came across the Nissan USA parts site and was able to figure out that we share the part # with Frontiers (and some other models). I went ahead and ordered this unit - https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-original-stubby-antenna-for-1998-2019-nissan-frontier/ and it fits great. They are a local company to me, it’s a USA made part and their customer service has been very helpful. Looks great I think, and seems like a well made unit. 

j8TUq6t.jpg

Reception seems fine in town, although I'm sure there is an overall reception trade-off. That being said the Pathfinder isn't my daily so this is definitely an improvement for my use case. Nice little easy and cheap mod in my book.

• Like 2