starter issues??

Hey guys Im sure someone has already asked this or mentioned it on another topic. But i recently replaced my starter that died but I seem to be having trouble getting the soleniod to engage the starter from time to time. There are also times when the truck starts up no problem. ok now after all that. i have a second question. so you guys have anything covering your starter from the old filter??

sorry guys the first question is does anyone have a solution for a iffy starter  

Hi there. I've replaced the starter twice on my '95. Each time the problem was hesitant solenoid action, and each time a new starter and solenoid 'fixed' it for a couple years or so.  I'm wondering if a worn ignition switch was part of the problem,  as I've always had to give the key a pretty energetic twist to get it to contact. Lately it's been completely unresponsive after sitting overnight, and requires five or six tries to get it to make contact. So far I've been lucky, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm lazy, I'll admit. Fault tracing old wiring and connectors drives me nuts. It only needs one bad connection somewhere. My '95 has been a great vehicle, but has too many electrical gremlins these days. I'm preparing myself for another used vehicle, but not sure what it'll be.

I wish you as good luck with yours as I've (so far) had with mine. 

1 hour ago, onespiritbrain said:

Did you buy a remanufactured starter?

Idk my dad got it and brought it over to install. So I'll have to ask

@ shaggy 

I've been fearing the same thing with the switch but it worked perfectly when it wants and other times I just get a click.

I just replaced my ignition switch, with the key turned to the start position I'd have to rock it from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock. As it got worse it became 2 and 8. Had the new switch for about a year and now I'm having starting issues. Guy I bought the truck from had it since 2001 and never replaced starter so I presume it's the starter. Considering the placement of the oil filter (V6 idk about 4 banger) I would encourage the use of electronic parts cleaner, not brake or carb clean, every time the oil is changed. But I've read that those ignition switches are a very poor design and commonly have this problem. Also can't get the switch separately, at least not from AutoZone, O'Reilly or Napa...

If yours is an automatic you can wire in a relay to give a full 12v to the solenoid signal wire. Mr Reverse had a how to on this years ago, we did it to my 1994 SE in 2009 and it never had another problem.

2 hours ago, adamzan said:

If yours is an automatic you can wire in a relay to give a full 12v to the solenoid signal wire. Mr Reverse had a how to on this years ago, we did it to my 1994 SE in 2009 and it never had another problem.

Ya mine is an auto. Do you happen to know where to find the video?

No video, just a write up with a simple diagram at one time. Not sure if the diagram made it here. I did the original back when we all hung out on the 4x4 parts forum. I think the write-up made it here, I recall talking about it not too long ago. 

Found the last time. 

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/45742-continued-starting-issues/?do=findComment&comment=818682

Edited by Mr_Reverse