Removing rear bump stops

JusGeoff

Does anyone know if it's possible if I jack the car and let the axle hang can I remove the rear bump stops without removing the springs? I know there's a bolt in there.. but maybe I can get a tool in there? any thoughts? I'd like to get airbags in without removing the springs if I can. 

2003 R50

?

Edited by JusGeoff

I put airbags on an Acura MDX. I could have loosened the bolt on the bump stop without removing the spring. But it would have been harder than just removing the spring, and I couldn't have physically removed the bump stop from inside the spring. Then I also had to drill a hole in the spring perch for the air line.

I swapped my springs on my Pathfinder without removing any components but the shocks. I got the subframe on stands, jacked the opposite wheel up a little and used a spring compressor on the spring I was removing. Didn't disconnect brake lines or panhard rod.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I put airbags on an Acura MDX. I could have loosened the bolt on the bump stop without removing the spring. But it would have been harder than just removing the spring, and I couldn't have physically removed the bump stop from inside the spring. Then I also had to drill a hole in the spring perch for the air line.

I swapped my springs on my Pathfinder without removing any components but the shocks. I got the subframe on stands, jacked the opposite wheel up a little and used a spring compressor on the spring I was removing. Didn't disconnect brake lines or panhard rod.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

+1

It's a lot easier to just remove the springs, remove the bump stops and then put in the air bags. Even if you manage to loosen the bump stops, you won't be able to get it out from inside the springs.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep ok, good points. 

I have raised springs and spacers, it's wasn't possible to get them in without using compressors and I hate using spring compressors! 

Maybe if I can get the bolt out I can chop the already perished rubber to bits to get it out.. idk. 

Thanks for your replies!

Edited by JusGeoff

59 minutes ago, colinnwn said:

also had to drill a hole in the spring perch for the air line.

I didn't consider this. 

They make the installation look too easy! Makes sense, I guess the line can't come out through the spring 

I ran my AirLifts with the bump stops in place for about 12 years. (Same in my Mom’s JGC). While I like the airlifts, they progressively deflate over time & twice I blew them out accidentally. Add to that the simple possibility of on trail failure & I wanted the reassurance that still having the bump stops in place gave me. The AirLifts are very hardy & can take it with no problem. I also ran the AirLifts through a single t’d line so I wouldn’t unknowingly have a single side failure. Make sure you check them at least monthly. They need to always have a little residual pressure in them. If you don’t, they will inevitably get pinched & fail. BTW, I had to drill out the hole in the spring mount just a bit to get them to fit properly. Also, I have taken them in & out numerous times without removing anything- just jack that side of the truck up & lubricate the air bag - soapy water even worked just fine. It’s a bit of a struggle but less work than dismantling everything.