Lego rims 2WD / 4WD compatibility

flickertheory

Been on the lookout for lego rims for my '87 SE for ages and I've found a potential '95 XE donor here in Vancouver with them. It looks like that truck was a 2WD though, as the front two hubs are missing their "AUTOMATIC" caps. Any fitment issues you guys might be aware of putting 2WD rims on a 4WD?

The only variation I'm aware of with Lego rims is that the super early ones take mag-style lug nuts with washers, and the rest take the standard acorn lugs. There's a part # cast into the rim that'll tell you which one you have. 4030032G00 are the early mag-style, 4030032G10 are the acorns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

The only variation I'm aware of with Lego rims is that the super early ones take mag-style lug nuts with washers, and the rest take the standard acorn lugs. There's a part # cast into the rim that'll tell you which one you have. 4030032G00 are the early mag-style, 4030032G10 are the acorns.

Great tip, thanks @Slartibartfast!! Couldn't find the number on the rims without taking them off (plus their insides coated in so much brake dust and grime!), but my truck was assembled in October 1987 so I suspect it may have been a later-in-87 model. Fingers crossed for compatibility; I'm looking to buy 'em tonight!

IMG_9805.jpg

They will be fine. The WD21 is a 4x4 chassis even in 2wd. Differences were they didn't install the 4wd trans with transfer case, front driveline, and front axle assembly. Even the front knuckles and wheel hubs are the same as the 4x4, they just put caps on the openings where the axle shaft and locking hubs go. 

The PN is on the outer face of the rim, and you can find it without taking the rim or even the hubcap off. Find the valve stem, then follow that circle around (broken into three sections by the spokes). One section has the valve stem, one has the rim size marked, the other has the PN. Is the picture what you have now? Looks like an early R50 alloy.

They look heavier than they actually are, but like most factory aluminum wheels tend to be a bit heavier than quality aftermarket ones. They are lighter than the steel wheels though. The compact spare my Pathfinder had(235/75-15) was at least half again heavier than my stock Legos with 31x10.50 15 BFG ATs. That said, my current 33x12.50 15 Firestone MT mounted on a 15x8 Ultra Motorsport En4cer is even lighter.