Mismatched dash illumination colours

flickertheory

Interesting. Wonder if the speedometer head got replaced with a newer unit. My 93 was the white on black like yours, but for all the gauges. I personally dislike the orange Nissan uses, I have to turn up the illumination to see it clearly. I have a hard time seeing in the red end of the spectrum. Some orange bulb caps should get it closer at night. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Interesting. Wonder if the speedometer head got replaced with a newer unit. My 93 was the white on black like yours, but for all the gauges. I personally dislike the orange Nissan uses, I have to turn up the illumination to see it clearly. I have a hard time seeing in the red end of the spectrum. Some orange bulb caps should get it closer at night. 

Good intel. That would make sense. I didn't know they were modular but this might send me searching for a replacement to match.

Gets me wondering whether the odometer might have been messed with by the previous (original) owner, or if it may have come with the new unit. Interior is really clean and the engine purrs, but the body is Canadian-interior rough. No logged mileage on the Carfax at any point either.

+1 on someone likely swapping out the speedo. The odometer is part of the speedo, so unless the PO went to great pains to make it match the (presumably) dead gauge they took out, it's probably not correct. I haven't had an orange dash apart, but I assume the tint is a layer of orange paint or plastic between the bulbs and the gauge. It might be difficult to match, but yeah, if you can find orange condoms for the bulbs (or orange LEDs), that might get it close enough.

• Like 2

At the other end of the spectrum, it's possible he swapped out the rest of the dash for a USDM one and swapped his original KMH speedo back in! haha

Although my Aussie '87 has the orange characters and the single odo. Most likely a later speedo changed in.

Edited by FirstGenFreak
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirstGenFreak said:

At the other end of the spectrum, it's possible he swapped out the rest of the dash for a USDM one and swapped his original KMH speedo back in! haha

Although my Aussie '87 has the orange characters and the single odo. Most likely a later speedo changed in.

Ha! I'll probably never know for certain, alas. But I like the working theories.

I believe the instrument cluster was the traditional Nissan orange in the 87-92 Pathfinder/pickup. I believe they changed to the white with the 93 model year. My 93 SE had the white from factory. The dual trip meters was found in the SE, and I believe the LE. One other fun things is the speedometer went from being a mechanical (cable driven) unit to an electric one in the 94 model year.

The 93 was an odd duck in its gauge cluster was a one year only and just a little different than all the others. We lost the voltmeter, oil pressure and the fuel sub gauge that could be found in the older ones. 

• Thanks 1

87-89 were orange. When the brought the 4 door in it went to white lights. My friend has a 90 and they're white. Someone swapped that speedo, and they probably found a nice low mileage one to put in. I'd be replacing the timing belt asap if you haven't already.

• Like 3