?? Small electric motor behind Radio???

whoizitcc69

Hey Guys!!! So I was remounting the radio in my 91 pathfinder. The guy I bought it from never really installed it. when I pulled it out I noticed some slack wires was hitting something behind the radio and it made a buzzing sound. ( at first I heard this sound I thought it was the blower motor never shut off and some leaves were stuck in it) as I looked closer it was a small electric motor that was right behind the radio area and the AC controls. As it would turns the wires that were not tied up and out of the way were hitting it and making a rubbing noise. Needless to say I go it all back together, and its no longer making any noise, but for the life of me Have no clue what that motor is or does. I've searched all the post and even looked at drawings on line and do not see it anywhere.. Would love to know what it is and the purpose of it. Any Body have a clue on this???

Sounds like you've got the automatic climate control and you've found what Nissan calls the Aspirator Motor. The aspirator pulls air through the grille in the faceplate and past a temp sensor, giving the climate control the best possible idea of what the cabin temperature is so it can adjust the blend door(s) accordingly. The blower runs whenever the key is on. I wasn't sure what I was hearing at first either! Mine didn't have wires rubbing but I could hear the little motor going. It comes on with the ignition.

HA-62 and -63 of the '90 service manual show the parts and locations. HA-136 says to test that the aspirator is working by holding a lit cigarette in front of the faceplate and watching the smoke get sucked in. (I find it amusing that Nissan's official testing method is to light a cigarette in a customer's car.)