Massive Toyota Recall 2million affected

Mrelcocko

Not trying to ruffle anyone’s feathers who has a Toyota because personally I’ve always liked Toyota I’m just more of a Nissan kind of guy and of course I like the bicker back-and-forth with the Toyota guys you know saying “Nissan is the @!*%,is so much better than Toyota)!Lol!!! this recall is massive USA Today reported 2 million vehicles affected with Faulty fuel pump that could suddenly stop working causing a stall a crash etc. WOW!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sadly, I’d say the problem is with Nissan not acknowledging problems & fixing them in an effort to take care of their customers (i.e., power valve screws). Toyota is much better at managing its customers & making sure they feel safe & well cared for. While I can’t speak to the pickup market, I’d never buy a Nissan these days & that’s all I’ve personally owned in 36 years (meaning not my wife’s or parent’s vehicles).

• Like 1

Today’s Nissan is not yesterday’s. Quality doesn’t even come close. Growing up my parents had a Datsun b210. That damn thing went to hell and back. With me in it a few times.

• Like 2

I would never buy a today Nissan. Only model I have considered (frontier) dies next year with an ugly "upgrade" still a shot I could pick up a used one at some point but I'd probably get a hardbody instead. Pre2005 Nissan is the best Nissan. Ghosn may have kept the company from bankruptcy but he renault'd our Nissan.

• Like 1

I recall the 3 years I worked for Nissan, I did a lot of recall work. Nissan had a pretty big one for the ABS module in the Maxima and Murano. Those were something like the 16-19 model years. Did a lot of reprogramming on various systems over a larger year range, with one of the most common on the airbags in the Frontier, Xterra, and Titan. Oddly, the R51 Pathfinder and Armada didn't have the problem the other trucks had. Apparently, if the truck is tilted to the side sufficiently and hit a bump just right, the SRS ECU would panic and fire all the airbags and pretensioners. Had a very modified Xterra there for having that happen about the time the recall came out. Made the day on the trail very exciting apparently. 

Had a tech there for almost a year that was a long time Toyota tech. He loved pointing out issues like the strawberry milkshake that was a problem for a few years in the Frontier, Xterra, Pathfinder. I cheerfully pointed out that the frames didn't have the rust out issues the Toyota had. It was all in fun. 

My 2010 had 3 recalls I think in the first year I had it, with one of them being to check and adjust the pressure in the spare tire. Apparently some of them were over inflated and exploded in the the heat of summer. 

For me, I have no qualms about Nissans up to 19-20 model years. I have determined that I don't like some of the changes in some and no matter the brand, avoid the first 2 years of new or redesigned models. For a full sized truck, the Titan is the best bang for the buck. For the compact, up to 2020, the Frontier is a great value iny opinion, but that is because I is essentially unchanged from 2006 so they are debugged and I, unlike the reviewers, like the styling and simple interior. People complain about the simple instrument cluster and small screen of the stereo. I figure if you need a big bright distraction while driving, it is pretty simple to put an aftermarket unit in since it is only the stereo unlike a multi function interface like many new cars. 

Research any manufacturer, and you will find an amazing range of recalls on them.

Edited by Mr_Reverse
  • Like 1

The frontier is like the ranger in my opinion. I worked for a Ford dealership in Lenoir City, Tn for 8 years and the ranger didn’t change Other than minor changes to the dash and the exterior lighting. From 95 till I believe 06 the Ranger went unchanged. I’m pretty sure you could slap an 06 interior into a 95 it was simple to me it looks really good plus in my opinion they were great trucks. I’m sure I became a Ford fan only because I worked there. Had I worked at yugo well you understand where I’m going with this. LOL. As far as recalls On the Ranger I’m pretty much lost I’m sure I can look it up I was the detail man. Been cleaning cars for as long as I can remember. As far as the frontier it’s the best compact pick up on the road like you said before it’s simple looks good at a fair price.

Want to have some real fun, get a Suzuki Equator. :D It makes everyone scratch their heads. The Ranger was a very honest truck and I liked it just because of that. The new ones are interesting, but I simply don't care for turbos in a 4x4. That is just me, but forced induction in an off pavement truck is limited to high RPM work like dune blasting. Gas turbos and mudholes or water crossing just seems like asking for problems. But I did have my cat in my Pathfinder break about 6 months after buying my truck. I got stuck in a waterhole with the water up to the tops of my tires (31" back then) and made the mistake of turning off the engine. When that 60°f water hit the ceramic matrix that was well heated from a couple hours of  vigorous mud play, it did not go well. I can only imagine dunking some well heated turbos in cold water would not be a good thing. I do use thermo shock a lot at work to get stubborn fasteners to concede.  

Everyone whines about not being able to buy a new, simple, bare bones truck these days, despite the current frontier being exactly that.

I've had them as rentals a few times and always enjoyed them.  The cabin is spartan and gives the necessities without any fuss.  The ride is smooth and handles decently, and the 4.0 gives a healthy kick IMO, with a nice predictable auto trans.  It's a much more satisfying drivetrain than in the 3rd gen tacoma, which I've also rented, and I'm a total tacoma fanboy.  

Bummer they're updating and killing the VQ.  I might not be singing the same praise next year.

Edited by jjonez
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having worked in the auto industry ~3yrs, one thing that is very common (unlike other manufacturing industries) is how supplier dependent the auto OEMs are.
Auto OEMs make a steel body, with an engine for the most part. Nearly everything else is from another company, including OEM owned subsidiaries. It's not uncommon for one model line to have the same part, manufactured by multiple suppliers (e.g. an alternator with exact same specs, could be awarded to Denso and Bosch, with one filling in for the other during the same year) - that's just a hypothetical.

There is no perfect auto OEM (no matter what Elon thinks) so kudos to Toyota for acknowledging it.
As someone said, Nissan (the same Nissan who had to perform the R50 rust recall) maybe just isn't as proactive in acknowledging things...

...unless you embezzle millions of dollars and abscond to Lebanon.

Edited by v6tx
  • Like 2