MPG for your Pathy?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. MPG for your Pathy?

• 10 or less
    • 10-12
    • 12-15
    • 15-17
    • 17 or higher

Let's see what mileage he's getting in 2015 when it's your Pathy's age, if it even makes it to 18.

Well in all fairness he has 235000 or so on his engine also :-) Does a lot of driving for work, although he did have the tranny rebuilt about about 200k if memory serves.

Far As I know the pathy's still on its original engine/tranny :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O-K

I am getting about 13.5 mpg and that is after the adjustment for the 255/70/16's...what on earth is wrong with my truck???

That is city only and it does get the chance to run for about 15 sec on my walk out to it (yay for remote starts!!) I have done the two secondary O2's, fuel filter, and i knew about the TB cleaning idea so that's done too. intake,muffler and larger piping past the kitty's.

plugs/wires/cap/rotor are all under 3k truck has 88k you guys think it is the other O2's in the headers???

UPDATE: I cleaned my MAF sensor with Q-tips and alcohol, used a propane torch to burn off the excess carbon on my O2 sensor, and on my last tank of gas, I got...

14.7 MPG. WOW! Holy crap, if I'd have known that simply cleaning a few things off would give me such great results, I'd have done it sooner! It also starts smoother, idles smoother, and has a teeny bit more power. Now there's a worthwhile bit of work!

I'll start it out. I'v got an 88 V6 and currently I'm averaging 16-17 MPG. Highest MPG yet is 18, and lowest was 15 last fill up. That 15 was probably because it was raining and I love to floor it in the rain. Spin those tires! :P -bounce- Of course I drive with a lead foot regardless of the weather. sly

how I fight with my pathy just to keep it above 10 m.p.g. and it's not that I dont over look the tune ups and oil changes. :confused:

ok i cleaned my MAF today and did notice a little more spunk also, in addition i reset my computer and filled up the tank...($2.15 gal today)

there was little bits of black junk on the MAF--88 is this what you too got off yours?? i could pass the small, small specks as carbon if i didn't know that they couldn't get there throught the air filter.

OK. I am sold on the "cleaning of the MAF sensor" thing.. I think I will have to go out there this weekend and clean mine now.... -bounce-

that is....AFTER I take deliveryof my new truck.. hehehe.. found a 1973 (NO SMOG!!!!!!) to use as a donor for my frame.. it has a 350..fleet side short bed and cab on 2wd frame.. it will all be transplanted to the "Big Ugly" frame.... -bounce-

already put over 50 miles on new tank o' gas and no needle move...i am terribly excited this may be the beggining of something!!! remember i am a happy Nissan FAN even at the last tanks misrable 11.5 mpg (with tire size adjustment)!! If this truck can attain that 16 mpg or even 15 mpg my cup shall over-runnith!!! :clap:

Ouch, mine starts to dip around 35-40+ actual driving on 31's. 3/4 tank regularly comes up around 75-85 miles on the highway (road trip), and I comfortably cruise 300+ miles before refueling somewhere below 1/4 tank left. Even on absolute low, warning light on like the other day, I could only squeeze in 18 gallons. Considering I have a 21 gallon tank or so, that's no biggie although I don't regularly or prefer to drive around low and suck up the BS in the bottom of the tank.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I'd be happy if I could averave 18 MPG, 20 on the hwy would be nice !! I think the O2 sensor is covered with crap bacause it smells very rich on warm up, then runs clean at temp. I think it's O2 sensor rather than MAF but I can see how that could get fouled also... Seems like a rather easy fix (if I can get the O2 sensor out) and I grabbed some chem-wipes from work for the MAF. I'll try tomorrow, and post any feed back. Thanks for the tip 88 !!

B

well, i would have to say as an update that my milage has returned to its normal self....problem with that is since i cleaned the MAF the truck has been much more peppy--like the cold air is working now--and i can't keep my foot out of her!!! so to get my old milage with the fun i've been having.....sweet

:bow:

Oh and 88 I love to rrrrrroast the tires in the rain as well.

I think that we have agreed without conversation that there is only one 88. Sorry M in KC, we'll have to think of another nickname for SC88Pathy. :contract: :laugh:

Oh and 88 I love to rrrrrroast the tires in the rain as well. 

I think that we have agreed without conversation that there is only one 88. Sorry M in KC, we'll have to think of another nickname for SC88Pathy. :contract: :laugh:

I completely agree there is only one 88 and it's not me. :bow:

SC will do as a shortening, not that SC88Pathy is that long. :P

BTW 88 I need to edit my vote for this poll I clicked 17+ instead of 15-17, can you fix that for me?

Edited by SC88Pathy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I'd thought I'd update here as well, I'v been averaging 15 MPG for the past couple of months, I think this is because the air filter is getting more and more clogged (it's completely black in some areas :blink: ) I'v been turning it around to keep the orange parts close to the intake hole but that's really only a temp fix. I need to get that K&N filter, just waiting for Summit to get some in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

In my short ownership of the 88, I have noticed a couple things...

1) my mileage is consistently 14-15 no matter what...(I try and shoot for just over 220 miles per tank)

2) the V6 is extremely underpowered when trying to maintain Cruise control on the freeway. It is downshifting constantly. Should I try to pep it up a bit with MAF cleaning and plugs/wires? I have no idea of previous ownership maintenance... :unsure:

I've been seeing a pretty consistent 16mpg recently. That generally equates to about 230-240 miles before the "idiot light" starts to flicker on downhill grades at red lights. :aok: (At that point, the truck will take 16.5-17 gallons, I have a 21.3 gallon tank according to my manual, but I've never managed to get more than 19.4 in it...). :crazy:

Yeah yesterday the needle was almost touching the empty mark, and I only got 16 gallons filled up. :confused: :crazy: Should be closer to 18 or 19 you would think. Also the needle dips to the "3/4" mark after 7 miles, and doesn't get to the half tank mark until 100+

For my update. Just changed the fuel filter...tomorrow having exhaust finished (high flow cat and 2.5" pipe finished from y pipe to cat) and put my 31's on. I average about 13-15 in town and 15-19 freeway. Better than the 8mpg town and 14-16 freeway I WAS getting ebfore I pulled the motor....

I already have a K & N filter....helps. WAVEY