Brake Light Stuck On - WD21

AaronHorrocks

I've been having some slow starts almost like my battery has been dying. 
Just noticed today that my brake lights are stuck on. 

Fiddled with brake, brake light still on.
Removed electrical connector to the master cylinder, brake light still on. 
Removed fuse, light turned off. Plug fuse back in, light turns back on.

I'm a bit stumped here. Shouldn't the switch to the brake lights be in the master cylinder, and when you unplug the electrical the lights should turn off?

The electrical connection on the master cylinder res is actually the float switch (to warn you if the brake fluid is low). If you've got an auto trans with cruise control, you'll have two switches on the brake pedal, one for the lights and one to cancel the cruise control. I think the manual trans rigs have the cruise cancel switch on the clutch pedal instead. I haven't dealt with this issue yet myself, but from what I've read it shouldn't be too tough to bodge something in place of the plug that's let go.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the cruise needs to cancel on brake or clutch application (both), at least here in Oz to be legal, but I think the CC unit picks up the signal from the brake lights.

If you have cruise, you may find it isn't working with the brake lights stuck on, this is why. 

Edited by FirstGenFreak

Thanks guys 

I cut a strip of rubber to cover that part, and wrapped it with some electrical tape, and it's working as a temporary fix. 
But it keeps falling off because it's 106 degrees out here. 
I'll stop by the dealership and see if they have replacements. 

• Like 1

Okay, the replacement part/parts is "Rubber Stop", and I bought two. $15.25 each.

46512-H0101 

Looks like they're both for the brake and cruise control. 
Also, maybe this is why my cruise control hasn't been working??? lol will check!  

• Like 2