Handbrake cables

Outlaw

New to hear but this is my 2nd r51 pathy. Hand brake is useless and no adjustment left in it. Went looking for new and turns out they are bloody expansive. $180 for the front cable and $362 each for the rears. Has anyone git any suggestions as to a remedy for this as I only paid $4000 for the car and don't feel right paying 1/4 of that on sime basic cables.

Jesus, yeah, that's steep. Have you tried adjusting the brakes themselves? Looks like the R51 has the same drum-in-disk setup as the rear disk WD21 for the parking brake, and AFAIK it's not self-adjusting. There should be a slot on the backing plate that you can stick a screwdriver through to adjust the parking brake shoes to where they grab again. I'd back off the cable adjustment first, then you can get the brakes roughly adjusted and have some room to adjust the cables to dial it in.

Yep, very rarely do the cables require adjustment. Usually it is the parking brake shoes themselves that have either worn down, or had the friction material delaminate from the shoe. 

I suggest starting with an inspection of the parking brake shoes to make sure that they are ok. If so, you want to turn the adjuster wheel to where the shoes are just barely away from the drum. 

I agree. The cables will be fine. It will be the internal mechanism in the drums that needs tightening. Have had to do this on mine.

Make sure you back off the cable in the cab first. Get a copy of the sevice manual and read the defiron on adjusting the handbrake.