Hole in exhaust - intermediate pipe

Kazza

Hi guys,

Got a rather nasty hole in my exhaust. Its on the right intermediate pipe, the straight piece of pipe between the front resonator and the central muffler. The hole is pretty much around the entire circumference of the pipe so doesn't look like its worth attempting to repair and a replacement pipe is cheap. However, when looking on RA at exhaust parts, it seems to be advising to replace the central muffler also as the intermediate pipes are welded to it. 

Does anyone have any experience working on the exhaust? Do you reckon i should replace the entire middle section of the exhaust or should I be able to cut the old intermediate pipe off at the central muffler and weld the new one on ok? Also, should I be buying any new fixings? I have a guy with a mobile welding kit who can do the job for me if its relatively straight forward.

The part in question here is 53393. As you can see, there is a little diamond next to the part denoting that 53393, 53394 and 54377 should all be replaced in this instance as they are welded together.

13-03999.jpg

Edited by Kazza
add info

If the other parts are still in good shape, I don't see why you couldn't replace just the one piece. Looks like you'll need a new gasket for where that pipe meets the resonator, and you may end up needing new bolts too (check beforehand and see if they have any interest in coming loose). Might as well pick up the gaskets for both sides in case you need to drop the muffler assembly down a little to weld over the top where the pipe meets the muffler.

• Like 1

@Slartibartfast thanks for the input. I did end up just going for the intermediate pipe and I did get 2 gaskets for the same reason you mentioned. Really hope I don't need to remove the whole muffler assembly.. so many rusted bolts under there, especially on the heatsink.. can't see most of them surviving a twist.