New shocks-lift? New tires?

Meowzen

I know this topic is covered a lot in the forums but I’m asking for some specific advice with my bfs 2001 pathfinder LE (245k km) Paid $2600.

After we bought it we took it to a mechanic and he said the shocks were weak and we would need to replace them soon. (Quoted $1200 and they would probably be some crappy shocks/struts) The bf mentioned maybe getting a bit of a lift when we get around to that. We both know absolutely nothing about lifts or tires or anything mechanical at all so this is where I’m asking for advice. I need to know exactly what to buy so I can take it to a mechanic and get them to install it without them gouging me. (We do go off road from time to time for camping and he also just likes the look)

Do I need to get new tires too? Can that be done later? I’m in Vancouver Canada and if anyone has links to what I should get I would hugely appreciate it.

Sorry for the absolute noob questions I just want to gift this to my boyfriend and know nothing at all :) (he can pay for the installation and tires) I don’t want to get any wrong parts or anything either. 

From what I’ve gathered, the suspension kit from rocky-road.com seems good?  “Pathfinder Suspension with GR2 Heavy Duty struts” Not sure if there’s more components I’d need though. 

Thanks!

Amanda

$1200 is a rip-off. 

you can easily replace the rear shocks yourself, it’ll take about 10-30 minutes depending on rust (it’s 4 bolts total). The alignment shop who handled my front lift springs handled the install AND alignment for somewhere between 200-300. Struts cost about $40-80 per side if I remember correct.

if he’s doing all the work for you, maybe 400-500  if he lets you source your own parts. A little more if he has to buy and source the parts

you don’t have to buy tires at the same tome, but you will have to get the front realigned if he replaces your front struts (shocks).

whether you decide to lift it or not, the labor should cost the same, and I would recommend buying and providing the parts yourself. Alignment will be more difficult if you lift it, so getting camber bolts (14mm camber bolts) is a good idea.

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

I just recently did my own research and priced everything out that you mentioned and can provide some feedback on hardware costs. 
The rocky road kit you mentioned I believe is just under $1k. That is probably the most expensive kit out there using all Old Man Emu springs and shocks/struts which are known to be quality and mild lift.

You can also just purchase the Old Man Emu springs from DesertRat (all “dutys” are the same price) and KYB shocks from a place like RockAuto and spend roughly $600. Still a mild lift.
For a more aggressive lift, you can source Land Rover rear springs and Bilstein shocks, OME front springs and KYB shocks and still spend under $700, but you have to buy all pieces from like 4 different website for best pricing.

$1200 for stock replacements is definitely a no-go. You can get an amazing quality lift installed for that price.

I am a noob as well but the search function on this forum is actually pretty good, unlike other forums. And people are pretty friendly. 

28 minutes ago, Fonze311 said:

I just recently did my own research and priced everything out that you mentioned and can provide some feedback on hardware costs. 
The rocky road kit you mentioned I believe is just under $1k. That is probably the most expensive kit out there using all Old Man Emu springs and shocks/struts which are known to be quality and mild lift.

You can also just purchase the Old Man Emu springs from DesertRat (all “dutys” are the same price) and KYB shocks from a place like RockAuto and spend roughly $600. Still a mild lift.
For a more aggressive lift, you can source Land Rover rear springs and Bilstein shocks, OME front springs and KYB shocks and still spend under $700, but you have to buy all pieces from like 4 different website for best pricing.

$1200 for stock replacements is definitely a no-go. You can get an amazing quality lift installed for that price.

I am a noob as well but the search function on this forum is actually pretty good, unlike other forums. And people are pretty friendly. 

Thanks so much for your response! I’ve spent quite a few hours reading through the forums and have a bit of a grasp on things but it’s like learning a new language to me!  I’m cool with buying from different websites I just don’t want to order the wrong things. I’ll have a look at those options thanks so much :)

18 hours ago, Meowzen said:

Thanks so much for your response! I’ve spent quite a few hours reading through the forums and have a bit of a grasp on things but it’s like learning a new language to me!  I’m cool with buying from different websites I just don’t want to order the wrong things. I’ll have a look at those options thanks so much :)

Check out Tough Dog Canada, there's a distributor located in Calgary, its an Australian Company and all they make are 4WD suspensions. C$1600 all in if I remember correctly. High quality stuff. I run it on my 03 LE R50. Got 2'' lift in front, 3.5" in rear, I fitted 265/70/17 WildPeaks on it with minor cutting in the front.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I’ve collected new struts and shocks as well as ordered new Nissan oem strut insulator mounts, bolts, etc. I just wanted to check to see if there’s anything I missed? (Or if I messed up any ordering)

Struts:

KYB 335033 Excel-G Gas Strut

KYB 335032 Excel-G Gas Strut

Shocks:

KYB KG4163 Gas-a-Just Gas Shock x 2

Nissan parts:

54320-2W100 x2 (insulator mounts)

01225-00231 x6 (bolts)

54325-5V000 x2 (strut bearings)

54050-0W002 x2 (struts bumper/boots)

Was thinking of getting the OME springs next month:

2609 MD back

2608 HD front 

That all sound right? Sorry I’m very much mechanically illiterate and I truly appreciate your help/guidance :)

Thanks

Amanda

Okay so I’ve collected new struts and shocks as well as ordered new Nissan oem strut insulator mounts, bolts, etc. I just wanted to check to see if there’s anything I missed? (Or if I messed up any ordering)

Struts:

Shocks:

Nissan parts:

01225-00231 x6 (bolts)

2609 MD back

2608 HD front 

That all sound right? Sorry I’m very much mechanically illiterate and I truly appreciate your help/guidance

Thanks

Amanda

Struts:

Shocks:

Nissan parts:

01225-00231 x6 (bolts)

2609 MD back

2608 HD front 

That all sound right? Sorry I’m very much mechanically illiterate and I truly appreciate your help/guidance

Thanks

Amanda

You could have saved some money going with kyb mounts and bearings, but your list looks complete.

Sent from my Pathfinder

24 minutes ago, R50JR said:

You could have saved some money going with kyb mounts and bearings, but your list looks complete.

Sent from my Pathfinder

I kept reading on here that the KYB mounts were a bad choice as far as reliability goes so that’s why I went with OEM stuff. Thanks for your reply :) just want to make sure I’m not ordering the wrong stuff

I kept reading on here that the KYB mounts were a bad choice as far as reliability goes so that’s why I went with OEM stuff. Thanks for your reply  just want to make sure I’m not ordering the wrong stuff

There is no real proof in those claims.

Sent from my Pathfinder

On 8/11/2020 at 8:51 PM, Meowzen said:

Struts:

Shocks:

Nissan parts:

01225-00231 x6 (bolts)

2609 MD back

2608 HD front 

That all sound right? Sorry I’m very much mechanically illiterate and I truly appreciate your help/guidance :)

Thanks

Amanda

Think the 2608 is for a r51...Check for OME at 4Wheelparts.ca in Langley. That's where i got my front HD Coils (2928). And if u wanna save money source out everything at different place such as even amazon for one and Rock Auto.com for another for the KYB Struts :) As for the rear springs lot of us get the Land Rover Defender 90 for the lift. Cheaper options :)

6 hours ago, PATHYNDH said:

Think the 2608 is for a r51...Check for OME at 4Wheelparts.ca in Langley. That's where i got my front HD Coils (2928). And if u wanna save money source out everything at different place such as even amazon for one and Rock Auto.com for another for the KYB Struts :) As for the rear springs lot of us get the Land Rover Defender 90 for the lift. Cheaper options :)

Ah okay thanks! I have all the parts except the springs now.
 I was reading up on the Land Rover springs and it seemed like people got spacers up front with them?  Is that necessary? I’m not looking for max lift, I just needed these parts replaced and figured why not a little lift. Is 9447 the right spring for the rear? Or is there one that doesn’t need spacers up front? Thanks for the help :)

On 8/16/2020 at 9:39 AM, Meowzen said:

Ah okay thanks! I have all the parts except the springs now.
 I was reading up on the Land Rover springs and it seemed like people got spacers up front with them?  Is that necessary? I’m not looking for max lift, I just needed these parts replaced and figured why not a little lift. Is 9447 the right spring for the rear? Or is there one that doesn’t need spacers up front? Thanks for the help :)

Yes i got 9447 but Im not even sure since i've been told otherwise that a 1" spacer upfront may be too much. I'm trying to level it as much as possible time will tell may get the 0.5" spacer instead

On 8/21/2020 at 12:33 AM, PATHYNDH said:

Yes i got 9447 but Im not even sure since i've been told otherwise that a 1" spacer upfront may be too much. I'm trying to level it as much as possible time will tell may get the 0.5" spacer instead

I Just finished installing new suspension in My '01 Pathfinder, up front I put in KYB Excel G-Gas Struts with Adelco Springs (Stock size) and a 1.5" SFCreations spacers (gives about a 2 inch lift), in the rear I put NRC9449 coils which are a HD Coil with KYB Gas-A-Just Gas Shocks (Have around a 2.5" plus lift in the back).  I'll admit with the 9449 coils the back rides a lot stiffer especially over speed bumps.  All in everything cost around $800 CAD with shipping.  I used Rockauto, LRDirect, SFCreations.

I did all the work myself, Struts were the hardest which took a few days and rear finished in a couple hours.  The 9447 I believe gives close to a 2" lift in the rear.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scmac81 said:

I Just finished installing new suspension in My '01 Pathfinder, up front I put in KYB Excel G-Gas Struts with Adelco Springs (Stock size) and a 1.5" SFCreations spacers (gives about a 2 inch lift), in the rear I put NRC9449 coils which are a HD Coil with KYB Gas-A-Just Gas Shocks (Have around a 2.5" plus lift in the back).  I'll admit with the 9449 coils the back rides a lot stiffer especially over speed bumps.  All in everything cost around $800 CAD with shipping.  I used Rockauto, LRDirect, SFCreations.

I did all the work myself, Struts were the hardest which took a few days and rear finished in a couple hours.  The 9447 I believe gives close to a 2" lift in the rear.  

Nice work, it always saves money, gives you a better sense of satisfaction and of how things work, when you do your own wrenching,  As far as your rear ride quality, if you used factory replacement KYB rear shocks, those will be just about at maximum extension when the truck is sitting level.  This lack of available down travel will make your ride more harsh than it needs to be.  If you swap those out for a shock that is appropriately valved and 2-3" longer (to match the added height of your springs), like the Bilstien 33-185352 (or there is a less expensive option from ProComp, but the part number escapes me), you'll find the ride quality improved.  Just food for thought.

Edited by 01Pathmaker
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 6:56 AM, 01Pathmaker said:

Nice work, it always saves money, gives you a better sense of satisfaction and of how things work, when you do your own wrenching,  As far as your rear ride quality, if you used factory replacement KYB rear shocks, those will be just about at maximum extension when the truck is sitting level.  This lack of available down travel will make your ride more harsh than it needs to be.  If you swap those out for a shock that is appropriately valved and 2-3" longer (to match the added height of your springs), like the Bilstien 33-185352 (or there is a less expensive option from ProComp, but the part number escapes me), you'll find the ride quality improved.  Just food for thought.

Thanks!  I'll keep the Bilstien's in mind for the future.  Right now I'm done with the wrenching on it and time to save money for the next add on's hahaha.  You're right about doing the work yourself, it is satisfying when completed.