Oil pressure sensor holes in VG30E?

Hello again everyone,

I did a little research on ways to install an oil pressure gauge and came across either installing an oil filter sandwich plate, replacing the factory pressure sender with an aftermarket sensor, or installing the sensor elsewhere on the block. I heard there were three or four other threads to tap into on the VG30E block with 1/8” BSPT threads like the oil pressure sender for the instrument cluster. Anyone know where these thread holes are? Would it be easier to install a sandwich plate?

Thanks!

A couple years after buying my Pathfinder I finally did my own oil change. That experience sent me to installing a remote filter. The filter adapter had a port that let me install a sender in it, as well as making filter replacement much easier. 

The current engine has the pressure switch next to the filter which is attached to the oil pump housing, so the sender for the gauge is in the block where the switch is on the 3.0.

I have also seen where people have put a short nipple into the hole for the switch, then a T with the sender and switch are attached. 

Yep, there is worse, but there is also better, like the VG33 I currently have and the VQ40.

I turn wrenches as my profession. Been stuck as an auto mechanic professionally for the last 20 years. I probably should renew my ASE certs since I let them lapse a while back. After 10-12 hours a day working on other people's cars, don't have much interest in working on mine. 

Yes, manufacturers come up with some "creative" oil filter locations, and the VG30 was definitely not the worst, but a little critical thinking would have determined that the filter tucked between the exhaust manifold and starter with the inner fender and frame in the way, just might not have been a great place for a high maintenance component. Least they could have done is put an access port in the inner fender to access the filter and make cleaning the spilled oil off the starter easier. 

No worries though, GM is great at putting filters in bad locations.