Front strut lengths

Grim

Hi Guys, i’m Pretty new around here, had the 1996 r50 for 4 or so years and the suspension is completely shot after lots of heavy towing. Just done a majority of the bushes and ordered some 9449 for the back and Bilstein 5125. But Ac coils are not worth shipping to this side of the world and i’ve found some advertised extended front struts ( 420 closed 593 extended) but without knowing the standard lengths it’s hard to know what i’m getting hopefully someone has these details. Second to that i’ve read mixed things about top out of the standard length shocks with the Ac coils which is the specs that i’m hoping to replicate with a locally made brand ( cobra or kings probably ) so with that in mind what’s your thoughts on an inch or so longer strut? I like the idea of travel but want to completely avoid and cv binding. Thanks in advance.

I've recelty been asking similar questions, I believe old man emu have the only slightly longer struts, from what I understand most people seem to stay with the OEM length with kyb excel g struts. You might find some answers here - 

Also I should add, I've used king's raised springs in mine, and only really gained a 30mm lift. I think I'm going to order 1"inch spacers to increase the lift further. I'm hoping the CVs will sit ok with this! 

Ok thanks that’s some good info, i’ve found out a standard length replacement is 389 compressed  -559 extended so the EFS brand shocks are 34mm longer so would make me think they’re a good option. As for the springs if you’re only getting one inch from the king springs i’ll avoid them, cobra springs are only supposed to be 40mm too. I’ve read good things about pedders springs and believe they’re a true 2inch lift so i’ll see if i can more info.

2 hours ago, Grim said:

Ok thanks that’s some good info, i’ve found out a standard length replacement is 389 compressed  -559 extended so the EFS brand shocks are 34mm longer so would make me think they’re a good option. As for the springs if you’re only getting one inch from the king springs i’ll avoid them, cobra springs are only supposed to be 40mm too. I’ve read good things about pedders springs and believe they’re a true 2inch lift so i’ll see if i can more info.

Keen to see how you go with pedders mate. I recently went with some EFS front coils but I reckon they don't quite provide a true 2" lift... I've also heard from KiwiTerrano that his cobra springs sagged after not too long... 

4 hours ago, Grim said:

I'm just about to get some front struts, could you link me to the EFS ones that you're looking at? 

Lovell springs sound like they’re another good option just trying to find someone to supply them at a realistic cost

My springs were standard rate for a v6 and I had them in a twin battery diesel so maybe a bit unfair.

I would recommend efs shocks, I had kyb  fronts and they were a bit under damped.

Springs I would say cobra extra heavy duty off trademe if you have bar and winch. Otherwise just go with matched efs ones. Efs suspension is very high quality and is equal with OME in my opinion. Better than dobison tough dog all that crap.

Rear springs, fit some of those land rover ones with the procomp es326500 shocks off Summitracing.com. 11" travel. Take the rear sway bar out and you'll out flex solid front axle trucks. My terrano had better ramp travel than a solid front prado with those rear shocks and no sway bar.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem JusGeoff,  i’ve Already got the 9449 Land Rover coils and some Bilstein 5125 rear shocks. Managed to find and order the pedders front springs, going to match them to the EFS shocks, pedders are taller than the EFS springs to will hopefully have less take than if was EFS spring and shocks up front. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out

41 minutes ago, Grim said:

No problem JusGeoff,  i’ve Already got the 9449 Land Rover coils and some Bilstein 5125 rear shocks. Managed to find and order the pedders front springs, going to match them to the EFS shocks, pedders are taller than the EFS springs to will hopefully have less take than if was EFS spring and shocks up front. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out

Those 9449's will surely give you a decent amount of rake even if you get true 2" lift front coils. Keen to see the outcome though.

Could you please measure the uncompressed length of the Pedders coils when you get them? As well as the coil thickness.

So as my kings springs are only getting me 3cm lift, I've also ordered an 1inch SFcreations spacer for the rear, and a small 1.5cm spacer for the front (rated to give 2.5cm with the geometries) just to get a tiny more lift and make it closer to a 2" lift if not a little more :)