Starting issue with new to me Pathfinder

Just purchased a 1993 one owner Pathfinder.  180k on the odometer.  It has developed the typical turn the key and no start problem.  The starter doesn't try to turn, all you hear are a couple of relays clicking.  This issue started yesterday and was intermittent until the last time we attempted started it and then it wouldn't start at all.  The previous owner replaced the battery thinking that was the problem.

Here's my issue:

I need to pick the truck up tomorrow and am wondering what I need to bring with me to get it started.  I am thinking i could turn the key to the run position and use a remote start switch connected to the starter and battery to get it going.  Do you guys think that will work?  Any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Matt

Check the fusible links, after 27 years in the hell environment under the hood, they tend to get a bit brittle. 

Your plan for getting it to start is reasonable, though it is a bit of a challenge to get a remote starter switch connected to the starter solenoid. Is it a manual or automatic transmission? If auto, there is a grey oval 2 wire connection near the battery. The yellow thin wire is for the oil pressure switch, the black thick wire is to the starter solenoid. You can unplug that connector and use a simple jumper wire to go from the positive terminal of the battery to the black/violet wire to get the starter to crank. 

If it is a manual transmission, you can either do a roll start or do the same thing as the auto trans, but the connector is plugged into a blue double sized relay next to the battery. 

Try hitting the starter as well with the long pole under the back seats (for the jack). And you can also try jiggling the key in the ignition. It is the ignition switches that wear out in these.

Ok-  tried to jump starter - no luck. Hit starter with a stick of conduit. That did the trick - it fired right up!  Thanks for the suggestion Adamzan!  Should I go ahead and get the starter rebuilt if it’s the original or just replace it with one from the local auto parts store?

I would make sure everything else is okay first wiring wise, just incase it was a coincidence. Personally I don't like parts store reman starters, but I don't think we have much choice these days.

Edited by adamzan

I took my starter apart when it started acting up and found that the brush holder assembly was all jacked up. I couldn't find the right parts to rebuild it, so I replaced it with a new Bosch. They're not fun to get to and I didn't want to do it twice.

Another issue that has plagued me in the past was the ignition switch. On two separate occasions and two different pathfinders the key would turn on. It would appear to turn everything on except all I would get was a click and sometimes nothing. What had happened on both was the backing plate on the ignition switch had come loose and was no longer making proper contact on all contacts for one and had shifted slightly so it could not reach the final ignition sequence on the other to actually strike the starter. Replaced one and rebuilt the other and both pathfinders fired right up.  Anyhow just thought I would mention it to add to the other advice offered. 

Cheers!

Edited by MrEviLDeD

It lives!  It was ultimately the starter. Took me three evenings, but finally got the starter replaced. Replaced it with a rebuilt Nissan starter. What a bear of a project. It’s funny - the original 1993 starter was still installed. I plan to rebuild that one to keep on the shelf as a spare. Thanks again for all the help!