truck wont start after fuel pump replacement

hello all, new to the forum here. 

I replaced my fuel pump unit because my level sensor was dead. I pull the old one out and dropped in the new pump into the tank but now it has a starting issue. The truck starts up when its cool or its just been parked for hours. but once I drive it and park it somewhere, I come back and the truck wont start, it will crank but wont start. I will have to sit in the truck for 15 minutes to be able to start the truck...

I also have problems filling the gas tank. I cannot pump a full gas tank without holding the gas lever at the pump. It think the gas tank is full.

Any ideas?

Edited by pathfinderone

I'm not familiar with the R51, but it sounds like a tank pressure issue, like the evap vent system isn't working properly. Check that you put the evap hoses back where they go when you put the new pump assembly in, and that nothing got pinched. (I'm assuming your fuelling issue and your starting issue both began after your pump replacement?) If it is an evap fault, I'd expect it to throw a code for that as well. When it won't start, if you remove the fuel cap, does it whoosh and then start up like nothing happened, or does the issue persist?

Also check the fuel filler neck, make sure it's not kinked or wonky, that could be causing the pump click-off issue. If everything checks out at the tank, check your fuel pressure at the rail. Hopefully Nissan gave you a proper test point on yours.

12 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I'm not familiar with the R51, but it sounds like a tank pressure issue, like the evap vent system isn't working properly. Check that you put the evap hoses back where they go when you put the new pump assembly in, and that nothing got pinched. (I'm assuming your fuelling issue and your starting issue both began after your pump replacement?) If it is an evap fault, I'd expect it to throw a code for that as well. When it won't start, if you remove the fuel cap, does it whoosh and then start up like nothing happened, or does the issue persist?

Also check the fuel filler neck, make sure it's not kinked or wonky, that could be causing the pump click-off issue. If everything checks out at the tank, check your fuel pressure at the rail. Hopefully Nissan gave you a proper test point on yours.

I am thinking it is a pressure issue. I dont know where I can find the fuel rail or a hose where I can connect a pressure gauge. I was hoping to see if anyone has ever run into this issue or know where I can find a location to put in a fuel pressure. 

No check engine light I wish it did, it would be easy for me to identify the problem but It does not since I replaced the fuel pump ....I did not drop the tank, I know its not the right way to do it but I decided to go from the top inside of the truck.I didnt feel like spending all the time to remove the metal straps and hose to get to the fuel pump because I live in Wisconsin and cars get rusty here. Didn't want to run into any broken bolts or nuts, so it was a easy pull out and drop in process. The pump does turn on I can hear it every time when the truck is turned to on. I did prime the fuel pump, I even disconnect the feeding hose to see if fuel is actually coming out of the feeding connector and fuel does squirt out....Now I did break the evap hose clamp that connects the evap hose to the fuel pump dont know if that is causing all my problems. Its still on the evap hose just not completely clamped. 

I'm not sure how the quick-connects work, but if they're like an air chuck, they could be blocking off the port because the connector's not fully seated. :shrug: Like I said, I don't know the R51 from a hole in the ground. You can get the service manual for it here. Might be something useful in the fuel system section, or at least a diagram you can check your work against. If not, you might find some troubleshooting info in another section that shows how they want you to check fuel pressure, or suggests some other things to check. Good luck!