02 r50 Pass side CV axle doesn't free turn?!?!

notmeami

If your R50 is stock, neither left or right CV axle should be able to turn without the wheels turning. They use a splined drive flange bolted to the wheel hub. If you are wanting to unlock the axles from the wheels, you will need to replace the drive flanges with locking hubs from a WD21 Pathfinder, or V6 D21 pickup. First gen Xterra and Frontier are another possibility. Unless you get lucky, what you will find on these trucks are auto hubs. If you want manual, you will need to look to the aftermarket.  

• Like 3

What is the deal with this? How to diagnosis problem and fix??

What do you mean by “free turn”?

Sent from my Pathfinder

R50JR--

I mean that while in 2H (4x4) and the front end off the ground, the cv axle will only spin about a 1/4 turn either direction. This is only on the pass side. The drivers side is cool and spins freely. 

Mr_Reverse--

Yep. I am referring to the axle as a whole. I realize the spindle runs through the hub. I am referencing when the front end is off the ground that the pass side will not turn more than a qtr turn or so. 

How do you drive if the axle cannot turn? Sorry I am just having a hard time understanding exactly what is going on. Probably a translation problem, we are probably using different terms for things. 

So you have the transfer case in 2wd, both front wheels off the ground, and turning the wheels by hand. When you turn the left wheel, it spins ok, but when you do the same with the right it will only turn 1/4 turn and will stop and not move? 

@notmeami In the scenario where you've got the front end off the ground, presumably with truck supported with jack stands, put your jack under the passenger LCA or ball joint and lift it a little.  Does the binding persist?  Do the shafts on both CVs look the same (paying attention to any contours on the shaft)?

Over the weekend, @R50JR observed that not all CVs are same and there's a major difference in their operating angles.  A brand new set of CVs binded completely, whereas the old set on the same suspension had no problem.  My hunch is your CVs aren't the "same", but are for sure for your truck.  I'm about to open a can of worms on the topic in a separate post.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/17/2020 at 11:25 PM, hawairish said:

@notmeami In the scenario where you've got the front end off the ground, presumably with truck supported with jack stands, put your jack under the passenger LCA or ball joint and lift it a little.  Does the binding persist?  Do the shafts on both CVs look the same (paying attention to any contours on the shaft)?

Over the weekend, @R50JR observed that not all CVs are same and there's a major difference in their operating angles.  A brand new set of CVs binded completely, whereas the old set on the same suspension had no problem.  My hunch is your CVs aren't the "same", but are for sure for your truck.  I'm about to open a can of worms on the topic in a separate post.

@hawairish Read your can of worms...pretty sure your worms are in my pathy too. Rancho struts SFC spacer lift and new Cardone cv axles. Replaced drivers side cv axle too with no issues but no such luck on pass side. Ordered them a week apart or so I will have to look at them to compare numbers. I'm out of town for a few days but will add my info and picks as requested to your can of worms post. 

Only re[placed cv axles because tore inner boots on both sides a few weeks after spacer and strut install. I chalked it up dry old boots. Pathy has over 200k miles. Cv axles are so cheap- I didn't want to bother with replacing boots. Figured I'd do it at a later date for spares. Regret disposing of ome struts now...

Great job measuring all this out!! Seriously. Great. Job. 

Edited by notmeami

On 6/17/2020 at 9:59 PM, Mr_Reverse said:

How do you drive if the axle cannot turn? Sorry I am just having a hard time understanding exactly what is going on. Probably a translation problem, we are probably using different terms for things. 

So you have the transfer case in 2wd, both front wheels off the ground, and turning the wheels by hand. When you turn the left wheel, it spins ok, but when you do the same with the right it will only turn 1/4 turn and will stop and not move? 

@Mr_Reverse Yes, the scene you have envisioned is correct. 

I agree with Hawairish, it sounds like the CV is binding when the suspension is at full droop. If you put a jack under the lower control arm and lift the tire off the ground and put the transfer case into neutral, does the bind go away? The wheel should be able to turn freely then. 

11 hours ago, notmeami said:

@hawairish Read your can of worms...pretty sure your worms are in my pathy too. Rancho struts SFC spacer lift and new Cardone cv axles. Replaced drivers side cv axle too with no issues but no such luck on pass side. Ordered them a week apart or so I will have to look at them to compare numbers. I'm out of town for a few days but will add my info and picks as requested to your can of worms post. 

Only re[placed cv axles because tore inner boots on both sides a few weeks after spacer and strut install. I chalked it up dry old boots. Pathy has over 200k miles. Cv axles are so cheap- I didn't want to bother with replacing boots. Figured I'd do it at a later date for spares. Regret disposing of ome struts now...

Great job measuring all this out!! Seriously. Great. Job. 

I hate it when I put my worms in other Pathfinders...

I do know that the Rancho struts were also built to similar OME dimensions, which were both based on the longer struts that 96-99 R50s had.  Depending on how tall your spacers are (2"?) it'll probably be at the upper range of the CV angle, but if it's clear that the setup works on one side and not the other, I can only presume it's because of CV differences.  Not that you'd want to redo the work, but I'd also bet swapping your CVs would move the problem to the driver's side.

Totally agree on with buying a new CV vs. replacing boots.  I'm dreading doing it on my passenger side, but now would be a good time to do it so that I can collect some real data on them when they're apart.

• Like 1