Rear link bushings

BamaQX402

I found where I had posted this on another, less active, forum. I wanted to share here as well.

We bought our 02 QX4 with a pretty substantial "death-wobble".
I orderd all the poly bushings for the 4-links. From what I've been reading, seemed to be a laborious/tricky job.
I'm here to tell y'all about my experience.
Hoping my parts were coming Thursday, I started at 8:30am by jacking up the 3rd member as high as my jack, w/wood block, would lift, then rested subframe on stands, but the differential was still supported, only lowered enough to give better access to upper links.
I believe what I did by not allowing the whole rear diff to hang made the difference, by 11:00am I had all 4 arms out, bushings removed, and bottoms painted. FedEx didn't make it till Friday afternoon, I was already working on something else so I didn't get to the bushings till about 4:30pm, by 6 I had everything back together hand tight. Only problem was it was dark, but everything was still lined up. I'm headed out this morning to install tires, lower it, and torque everything. Can't imagine it taking me more than 30 min.
Tool list;
1/2" breaker bar, impact, & ratchet/extension
Wrenches & deep impact sockets in 17 & 19mm plus a 14mm socket to lower swaybar mounts and a 21mm to move the bottom of passenger shock.
10mm to remove brake lines. Hammer chisel to remove locating tabs (inside frnt/lower pockets)
To remove old bushings; balljoint press pushed out centers, sawzall scored outer sleeves, hammer/chisel drove them out.
This weekend I'll order poly bushing to replace in the panhard bar.
Hope this helps anyone contemplating doing this themselves. I did it in a dirt driveway, on plywood, in less than 5hrs.

• Like 1

LOL, this was in December right after I bought it. I finally ordered panhard bushings, as well as $1000 worth of other parts. Waiting on OME front springs AND the panhard bushings...

I go out and play with my huge pile of parts, patiently waiting. I did buy the rest of the fluids today to change everything! Incidentally our covid furlough ended so this project will have to get done in well timed spurts.

• 7 months later...