Black 03' QX4 Fun Covid Self Isolation Edition

So in mid April during the Covid Pandemic, i wasn't working much at all. To cure my boredom I decided to sell both my 01 and 02 Gold LEs Pathfinder which were rusting, I then went out to found a Black 2003 QX4 with 215000 KMS, that needed some minor work. Let the fun begin :)  This is QX on the first day cWqPxU.jpg

R2OoMd.jpg

Edited by PATHYNDH

That's a really nice looking truck.   How minor is the work that needs to be done?  Covid is actually the reason I had the time to get my gifted Pathfinder up and running.

• Like 1

OIRU1G.jpg

11 hours ago, Preacher said:

That's a really nice looking truck.   How minor is the work that needs to be done?  Covid is actually the reason I had the time to get my gifted Pathfinder up and running.

Hah like minor minor lol to a buyer who doesn't know to do things would probably scare them off lol....See the dent in the front bumper is 1 thing. Ill post my add ons/work  tonight.

Edited by PATHYNDH

Day 1.... Consist of Changing the Oil and Transmission Fluids and adding additives. i have a good friend who has a shop who i have access to a hoist. i only use Liqui Moly Oil, Transmission Fluid was Nissan ATF. i also get discount there too for parts. Cabin filter was nasty!!!

5bDytX.jpg

dwJBCX.jpg

• Like 1

Took the truck home, swapped over the wheel/light bar from the Pathy and started cleaning everything, from de greasing the engine, washing it to carpets  etc. also removed the driver side running board with your typical rusting. Considering the rust on it, the rocker panels were in good condition.Cleaned and Sprayed some fluid film)  I had a set of non rusted running boards ready but they were silver so it needed to be painted. Removed Chrome Roof Rack

X2x5qj.jpg

qPb0G6.jpg

d20y8c.jpg

guoV8y.jpg

sDFvAk.jpg

a6J1qj.jpg

mg7DMi.jpg

Steamed Clean Carpets

c9zC1q.jpg

qd9uDj.jpg

mwe3Zy.jpg

Sunroof Drain Clean

lQyzwS.jpg

Interior Temp Sensor

Z8zoQu.jpg

End of the day

CsuBS9.jpg

Edited by PATHYNDH
  • Like 5

That's some good work you are putting in on that truck and it shows!  I'm watching with interest!  I took the seats out of mine, but didn't remove the carpet when I shampooed it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Carpets came out nice. I need to pull the carpet back out of mine and run the rug machine over it one of these days.

thanks, you should! Summer is coming :)

1 hour ago, Preacher said:

That's some good work you are putting in on that truck and it shows!  I'm watching with interest!  I took the seats out of mine, but didn't remove the carpet when I shampooed it.

Thanks! More time to enjoy the hobby while being home more too! More coming hah

Car had a check engine light for 02 emissions code, personally owning these cars i suspected it was the exhaust system. Low and behold CEL gone after replacing.

NJ3Qu0.jpg

Seriously wires really?

dfPtad.jpg

pjHlTM.jpg

Edited by PATHYNDH

Man that thing is clean. So I don’t think I’ve even seen a chrome roof rack on a Q. Is that aftermarket or some Limited edition ‘03 specific stuff? Also, where does that cabin temp sensor live? I’ve always wonder where exactly the climate control bases it’s decisions from

6 hours ago, Dbot said:

Man that thing is clean. So I don’t think I’ve even seen a chrome roof rack on a Q. Is that aftermarket or some Limited edition ‘03 specific stuff? Also, where does that cabin temp sensor live? I’ve always wonder where exactly the climate control bases it’s decisions from

Its actual stock with the stock chrome wheels, has Nissan stamped in. I actually swapped it for the 02 pathfinder crossbars before selling it. The chrome wheels too couldn't believe the condition of the chrome to for being 17 years old lol Its right below the steering column to your right see that tiny vent :)

Here!

YjPygS.jpg

Edited by PATHYNDH

Next up was dealing with lighting! Change fog lights to amber with oracle 8300 film(like the look). Installed my 42" LED light bar, LED lights to the analog clock, climate control, entire interior overhead, glove box, center console and license plates and my 4x4 was just straight removal swap from my pathy. My Westin light bar has PIAAs  Ion yellow mounted on them as well. 6000k HIDS much better than stock 4300k

Light show lol

B3UMw7.jpg

e08Gmd.jpg

nM4Yh1.jpg

j4ztJK.jpg

7VQkyX.jpg

S3kF9h.jpg

Edited by PATHYNDH

TONs of goodies!!! Some for now some for later preventative maintenance in bulk (shout out to Rock Auto) lol. Engine was next up, Installed new battery as well , SMP 2G Negative battery cable (felt like previous one was a bit to short?  Also added  short ram intake, direct fit with the adapter. Since i was in there i then changed the spark plug's as well. Will eventually do all the gaskets down the road for preventive maintenance

xdp9ca.jpg

ONjCh2.jpg

xRl5vv.jpg

DZd81H.jpg

gkFgMu.jpg

ovF6FX.jpg

8CscTJ.jpg

Xw5BpI.jpg

Edited by PATHYNDH

Few weeks into it after it all arrived next up was installing the Audio etc. Was too lazy to remove it from the pathy after selling it so i just picked up the same Atoto A6 Head unit with a add on parts such as reverse cam, dash cam, external mic and wireless antenna. The only issue was QX4 didn't make a double din kit unlike direct fit in the pathfinder. So i had to come up with a plan to make something to fill in the surrounding space bc the stock HU was oddly shaped. Reverse Cam install was a breeze compared to the Pathfinder bc of where the reverse lights are :):)

Pac Roem Nis2 Harness

QSIPLc.jpg

tZKa9N.jpg

XP388m.jpg

hVkiTZ.jpg

6hu0mo.jpg

Tons of wiring!

6eRA7l.jpg

WIFI inside A pillars

TvhhVp.jpg

Reverse Cam Wiring inside Tail Gate panel

OF0lam.jpg

vLFfmf.jpg

This is what i came up with: i used the stock HU face plate that detaches from the head unit itself to create a template with cardboard, had to get the exact measurements, test fitted like a glove and got it 3D printed and boy was i happy. i dyed it to make the black plastic duller.

MLQM11.jpg

Cardboard rough copy for test fitting

AhxdEW.jpg

Voila 3D Print

YrZ4Be.jpg

yx1i3t.jpg

Finish Product with Agama Car Laucher

X5zw1d.jpg

• Like 2

I had that same issues with the Pioneer double din deck that I installed.  None of what was listed worked to fill the gaps.  I ended up ordering Metra 99-9999 generic bezel and trimming to size.  

20200606_081205-X2.jpg

When I took the pic, I noticed that the head unit is crooked.  I pulled everything back out to see if I could line it up better, but found nothing.

Edited by Preacher

9 hours ago, Preacher said:

I had that same issues with the Pioneer double din deck that I installed.  None of what was listed worked to fill the gaps.  I ended up ordering Metra 99-9999 generic bezel and trimming to size.  

20200606_081205-X2.jpg

When I took the pic, I noticed that the head unit is crooked.  I pulled everything back out to see if I could line it up better, but found nothing.

Glad my build thread was able to help you out! What happened to the left edge?

On 6/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, Fonze311 said:

@PATHYNDH that’s cool what you did with the bezel. You wouldn’t happen to have an STL 3D file you’d want to share for that?

Nice build so far!

Thaaks! I don't have the STL 3D file as the shop did it for me , but i do have the outline. I can email you it, get it printed out and test fit the paper hope u can cut straight lines lol I should start making a bunch of 3D prints and copyright these and sell them lol jk

On 6/9/2020 at 12:33 PM, Preacher said:

20200606_081205-X2.jpg

Is your outline just a 7x4 rectangle? Looks different than my 03 qx4 but looks the same tho as my pathfinder. The Atoto A6 gives u a trim piece that covers the outer gaps. Direct slide in. This 03 Qx now tho was a head scratcher at first lol. Good job guys!

Looks like there's a small gap between the bezel and the head unit, and something reflective behind. If you can't scoot the bezel over, you could just paint the reflective part of the head unit so it doesn't show as much.

Next up continuing on the build was to paint the driver side running board and didn't quite understand why the person cut off the mounts to the running board instead of just removing the 7 bolts underneath to the truck?? So i have to find some bolts to lock them back up.

C0GFMT.jpg

hloOgJ.jpg

Undercoated

BFeiY4.jpg

Jnjq45.jpg

HJkzLk.jpg

FLd4on.jpg

Before reinstalling them gonna add some reinforcement

WYMyUt.jpg

Edited by PATHYNDH

When i bought the truck the seats on both sides were torn typical on our year models. So i just quickly fixed them.

Before and Afters. Sorry for the bad photos these were dealer photos thought i took some of my own but don't see them?

Passenger

WAKY4J.jpg

5lNELi.jpg

Driver

eaUoPB.jpg

7gzz30.jpg

mC4CTZ.jpg

• Like 2