Rear wheel bearing needs replaced?

Kazza

As has been said, if you use a little care, you don't have to mess with the ABS wheel speed sensor. There is enough room to slide the tone ring out without contact. 

Yep, the chassis ear has hped me out a lot for pinpointing noise sources. Subarus around here are notorious for having wheel bearings going out and they usually make a lot of racket before you can feel them. But when you take the load off by putting the car up on a lift and run it in gear to try and hear which one it is, they go silent. It is very annoying. 

Breakthrough!

I got the back off the ground and ran the truck. Clear as day that it's the rear right wheel bearing. With the wheels off the ground the noise is isolated to the hub on that side.

Just need to try and find someone to do the press work on the cheap for me while I wait for the parts in the mail now.

Thnx guys for the help.. will keep posted with results.

K

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Turns out it was the rear right wheel bearing which has now been replaced.

A couple of lessons learned here;

- The ABS sensor plug doesn't need to be removed to do this job.. infact I'd recommend leaving it where it is..very minimal risk of damaging it as per the FSM commentary.

- Put the new inner wheel seal in the freezer for a couple of hours before seating it on the wheel hub.. it will make this part of the job alot easier.

Thanks for all the help with this one.

K

• Like 1