Jump to content

Best tire for off road in Arizona?


gloer
 Share

Recommended Posts

For those who offroad in Arizona/Utah, what tires do you use?

 

Will be getting new tires before too long, presently have Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 31x10.5x15 on stock suspension on my 1996 Pathfinder SE. Also planning to go with AC 2" front and LR9447 rear, and I'd like to get as wide and tall tire as I can with that setup.

 

I'm a mountain rescue volunteer and offroad for me consists mostly of getting to and from missions safely. Terrain ranges from mud to rocks, typical Central Arizona terrain (if there is such a thing as typical) plus up to 2 hour freeway drives before getting offroad.

Edited by gloer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, gloer said:

For those who offroad in Arizona/Utah, what tires do you use?

 

Will be getting new tires before too long, presently have Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 31x10.5x15 on stock suspension on my 1996 Pathfinder SE. Also planning to go with AC 2" front and LR9447 rear, and I'd like to get as wide and tall tire as I can with that setup.

 

I'm a mountain rescue volunteer and offroad for me consists mostly of getting to and from missions safely. Terrain ranges from mud to rocks, typical Central Arizona terrain (if there is such a thing as typical) plus up to 2 hour freeway drives before getting offroad.

A lift will not necessarily allow for larger tire..at least for the front. The lower strut perch is what limits the size. You need different wheel backspacing or spacers. 

 

I use the wildpeak at3w aired down to 20psi while driving sandy/rocky in az and socal.

Edited by R50JR
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone has a favorite tire, so this can be a can of worms!
I've had a good run from Maxxis Buckshot/Bighorns but they do have thin sidewalls. Best of the cheaper brands.
My last set I bought were the Toyo R/Ts and these are a ripper tire. Halfway between an All-Terrain and a Mud Tyre. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve had good experience with KO2s in just about every environment from snow to rocks, but I’m currently running the Wildpeak AT3Ws and I like them even more. 
 

In regards to size, you can usually go taller but not much wider unless you add wheel spacers or change wheels. My wildpeaks are 32”s but very narrow. they’re 235/85 R16, and they fit great with the AC lift up front. Sure they don't look quite as mean as a wider tire might, but there’s a great case to be made for the benefits of narrow tires so I’m sticking to them for now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite has been the Firestone Destination MT. The MT designation is for Maximum Traction rather than the Mud Terrain, and they live up to their name. Started with the first gen back in 07, and was amazed at the grip they give in everything including snow. Last year, replaced them with the second generation (the current one) and found them to be even better. 13 years, and never had a flat, and survived several Moab trips.

 

Have to figure out a new photo host and how to do all this photo stuff. Used to use Photobucket, but they decided ads didn't bring in enough. Oddly I can still see the pics with my computer, but can't make it work with my phone. 

IMG_0616.jpg

 

In this photo on Kane Creek, I was running a bit high, I had about 13 psi. Those were the first gen. I spent last winter romping around in the snow up in the mountains mostly in 2wd till I needed more. Got bogged down once pulling a F350 out up there, but once the rope was unhooked, was able to climb back out of the hole. Reattached and managed to get the Ford out, kinetic rope is fantastic. The tires have held up great on the pavement with my locker and loaded truck. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feedback, really helpful. ko2, Wildpeak A/T3W and the Destination MTs are what I'll choose from, they all look good both visually and capability-wise.

 

I'm really stuck trying to decide on final size to go with. Given the pictures/videos I've seen from you guys here I'm thinking it'll be 32x11.5x15. I've already got 31x10.5x15 and seem to have lots of room to spare. Will still do a coil lift and if needed spacers to fit the tires in. Have learned a lot from @PathyDude17's Youtube videos (thx for those!) and all the messages here, I almost understand what I need to order.

 

Heading to Desert Rats tomorrow to poke around, talk with them about putting on the coil lift and new tires, then if any issues with rubbing they can bang and cut as needed. Not sure I want my regular mechanic to do the work, and definitely not in my wheelhouse. Those in the Phoenix area, if you don't do your own work like this who do you take it to?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, I think the Firestone has the thickest tread also. I think mine were 24/32" new. Not sure with the Wildpeaks, but my Destinations are pretty light weight. My 33x12.50 15's mounted on a set of Ultra aluminum wheels actually weigh a bit less than the 31x10.50 15 BFG AT I had on my stock aluminum wheels back when my truck was new to me. 

People around here don't seem to be too happy with the current version of the BFG. A lot of them have really liked the Goodyear Dura Trac. Apparently they are really good in snow and rocks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feedback, really helpful. ko2, Wildpeak A/T3W and the Destination MTs are what I'll choose from, they all look good both visually and capability-wise.
 
I'm really stuck trying to decide on final size to go with. Given the pictures/videos I've seen from you guys here I'm thinking it'll be 32x11.5x15. I've already got 31x10.5x15 and seem to have lots of room to spare. Will still do a coil lift and if needed spacers to fit the tires in. Have learned a lot from [mention=41900]PathyDude17[/mention]'s Youtube videos (thx for those!) and all the messages here, I almost understand what I need to order.
 
Heading to Desert Rats tomorrow to poke around, talk with them about putting on the coil lift and new tires, then if any issues with rubbing they can bang and cut as needed. Not sure I want my regular mechanic to do the work, and definitely not in my wheelhouse. Those in the Phoenix area, if you don't do your own work like this who do you take it to?

I would honestly recommend you buy the tools to do the work yourself. It will cost less than a shop doing it and you’ll have tools for the future.


Sent from my Pathfinder
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since AZ has cacti spines & razor sharp volcanic rock, sidewall thickness will be more important there than anywhere else in the U.S. I’ve never had work done by Desert Rat but they are otherwise pretty reliable place. I still often buy from them despite having left PHX 16 years ago.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, RainGoat said:

Since AZ has cacti spines & razor sharp volcanic rock, sidewall thickness will be more important there than anywhere else in the U.S. I’ve never had work done by Desert Rat but they are otherwise pretty reliable place. I still often buy from them despite having left PHX 16 years ago.

 

 

Desert rat is a great shop. Mail order or at the brick and mortar 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Update: Ended up getting 32x11.5x15 BFG AT TA KO2 on ProComp 15x8 (PXA7069-5883) from Desert Rat.

 

After 6 months on them I'm very impressed and have put them through some rough/sharp conditions where others in the group had blowouts (sidewalls) on other brands. 

 

Aside: our search and rescue team works with the Maricopa Country Sherriff's office and I noticed they use BFG AT TA KO2s on their SAR Coordinators' trucks and lake patrol vehicles. That was nice to see, made me even happier with my choice as they are on rough terrain every day.

Edited by gloer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gloer said:

Update: Ended up getting 32x11.5x15 BFG AT TA KO2 on ProComp 15x8 (PXA7069-5883) from Desert Rat.

 

After 6 months on them I'm very impressed and have put them through some rough/sharp conditions where others in the group had blowouts (sidewalls) on other brands. 

 

Aside: our search and rescue team works with the Maricopa Country Sherriff's office and I noticed they use BFG AT TA KO2s on their SAR Coordinators' trucks and lake patrol vehicles. That was nice to see, made me even happier with my choice as they are on rough terrain every day.

You definitely went with a solid tire. The wildpeak at3w I have are missing chunks of tread at about half life. I guess AZ is hard on tires.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, R50JR said:

You definitely went with a solid tire. The wildpeak at3w I have are missing chunks of tread at about half life. I guess AZ is hard on tires.

Wow that’s interesting, you guys must have some really nasty terrain. Mine have been thrashed on rocks on several trips now with plenty of wheel spin and so far haven’t noticed any tread damage. I did use to have the KO2s and I’ll agree they’re a fantastic tire as well. I think the At3w is just a bit better in snow

 

Im kind of amazing at how resilient these bastards are when it comes to improper alignment. I drove on them with terrible camber for almost a year and they didn’t seem to care. Same story for toe these past few months

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow that’s interesting, you guys must have some really nasty terrain. Mine have been thrashed on rocks on several trips now with plenty of wheel spin and so far haven’t noticed any tread damage. I did use to have the KO2s and I’ll agree they’re a fantastic tire as well. I think the At3w is just a bit better in snow
 
Im kind of amazing at how resilient these bastards are when it comes to improper alignment. I drove on them with terrible camber for almost a year and they didn’t seem to care. Same story for toe these past few months

Eh, the mine have terrible wear from negative camber. I drove them about 3500 miles and they wore severely. I’ll probably look at another tire when it comes time.


Sent from my Pathfinder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, R50JR said:


Eh, the mine have terrible wear from negative camber. I drove them about 3500 miles and they wore severely. I’ll probably look at another tire when it comes time.


Sent from my Pathfinder

Fair enough, although it’s strange how our experiences are so different with the same tire. I suppose there’s lots of variables involved. The compound is a bit on the softer side so maybe the hot tarmac out there accelerates the wear?
 

The only other tires I’m considering for the next set are the Firestone destination M/T, but that would be when the truck is no longer my daily

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arizona’s volcanic rocks are sharp & extremely tough on tires. Even the AZ dust is sharp & will score your glass & plastic - my truck still has scars from its time there. I’ve done trails in every Western State & AZ is uniquely hazardous.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...