Best tire for off road in Arizona?

gloer

For those who offroad in Arizona/Utah, what tires do you use?

Will be getting new tires before too long, presently have Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 31x10.5x15 on stock suspension on my 1996 Pathfinder SE. Also planning to go with AC 2" front and LR9447 rear, and I'd like to get as wide and tall tire as I can with that setup.

I'm a mountain rescue volunteer and offroad for me consists mostly of getting to and from missions safely. Terrain ranges from mud to rocks, typical Central Arizona terrain (if there is such a thing as typical) plus up to 2 hour freeway drives before getting offroad.

Edited by gloer

21 minutes ago, gloer said:

For those who offroad in Arizona/Utah, what tires do you use?

Will be getting new tires before too long, presently have Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 31x10.5x15 on stock suspension on my 1996 Pathfinder SE. Also planning to go with AC 2" front and LR9447 rear, and I'd like to get as wide and tall tire as I can with that setup.

I'm a mountain rescue volunteer and offroad for me consists mostly of getting to and from missions safely. Terrain ranges from mud to rocks, typical Central Arizona terrain (if there is such a thing as typical) plus up to 2 hour freeway drives before getting offroad.

A lift will not necessarily allow for larger tire..at least for the front. The lower strut perch is what limits the size. You need different wheel backspacing or spacers. 

I use the wildpeak at3w aired down to 20psi while driving sandy/rocky in az and socal.

Edited by R50JR

Everyone has a favorite tire, so this can be a can of worms!
I've had a good run from Maxxis Buckshot/Bighorns but they do have thin sidewalls. Best of the cheaper brands.
My last set I bought were the Toyo R/Ts and these are a ripper tire. Halfway between an All-Terrain and a Mud Tyre. 

I’ve had good experience with KO2s in just about every environment from snow to rocks, but I’m currently running the Wildpeak AT3Ws and I like them even more. 

In regards to size, you can usually go taller but not much wider unless you add wheel spacers or change wheels. My wildpeaks are 32”s but very narrow. they’re 235/85 R16, and they fit great with the AC lift up front. Sure they don't look quite as mean as a wider tire might, but there’s a great case to be made for the benefits of narrow tires so I’m sticking to them for now

My favorite has been the Firestone Destination MT. The MT designation is for Maximum Traction rather than the Mud Terrain, and they live up to their name. Started with the first gen back in 07, and was amazed at the grip they give in everything including snow. Last year, replaced them with the second generation (the current one) and found them to be even better. 13 years, and never had a flat, and survived several Moab trips.

Have to figure out a new photo host and how to do all this photo stuff. Used to use Photobucket, but they decided ads didn't bring in enough. Oddly I can still see the pics with my computer, but can't make it work with my phone. 

IMG_0616.jpg

In this photo on Kane Creek, I was running a bit high, I had about 13 psi. Those were the first gen. I spent last winter romping around in the snow up in the mountains mostly in 2wd till I needed more. Got bogged down once pulling a F350 out up there, but once the rope was unhooked, was able to climb back out of the hole. Reattached and managed to get the Ford out, kinetic rope is fantastic. The tires have held up great on the pavement with my locker and loaded truck. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse

Thanks for all the feedback, really helpful. ko2, Wildpeak A/T3W and the Destination MTs are what I'll choose from, they all look good both visually and capability-wise.

I'm really stuck trying to decide on final size to go with. Given the pictures/videos I've seen from you guys here I'm thinking it'll be 32x11.5x15. I've already got 31x10.5x15 and seem to have lots of room to spare. Will still do a coil lift and if needed spacers to fit the tires in. Have learned a lot from @PathyDude17's Youtube videos (thx for those!) and all the messages here, I almost understand what I need to order.

Heading to Desert Rats tomorrow to poke around, talk with them about putting on the coil lift and new tires, then if any issues with rubbing they can bang and cut as needed. Not sure I want my regular mechanic to do the work, and definitely not in my wheelhouse. Those in the Phoenix area, if you don't do your own work like this who do you take it to?

• Like 1

Oh, I think the Firestone has the thickest tread also. I think mine were 24/32" new. Not sure with the Wildpeaks, but my Destinations are pretty light weight. My 33x12.50 15's mounted on a set of Ultra aluminum wheels actually weigh a bit less than the 31x10.50 15 BFG AT I had on my stock aluminum wheels back when my truck was new to me. 

People around here don't seem to be too happy with the current version of the BFG. A lot of them have really liked the Goodyear Dura Trac. Apparently they are really good in snow and rocks. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback, really helpful. ko2, Wildpeak A/T3W and the Destination MTs are what I'll choose from, they all look good both visually and capability-wise.

I'm really stuck trying to decide on final size to go with. Given the pictures/videos I've seen from you guys here I'm thinking it'll be 32x11.5x15. I've already got 31x10.5x15 and seem to have lots of room to spare. Will still do a coil lift and if needed spacers to fit the tires in. Have learned a lot from [mention=41900]PathyDude17[/mention]'s Youtube videos (thx for those!) and all the messages here, I almost understand what I need to order.

Heading to Desert Rats tomorrow to poke around, talk with them about putting on the coil lift and new tires, then if any issues with rubbing they can bang and cut as needed. Not sure I want my regular mechanic to do the work, and definitely not in my wheelhouse. Those in the Phoenix area, if you don't do your own work like this who do you take it to?

I would honestly recommend you buy the tools to do the work yourself. It will cost less than a shop doing it and you’ll have tools for the future.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Since AZ has cacti spines & razor sharp volcanic rock, sidewall thickness will be more important there than anywhere else in the U.S. I’ve never had work done by Desert Rat but they are otherwise pretty reliable place. I still often buy from them despite having left PHX 16 years ago.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, RainGoat said:

Since AZ has cacti spines & razor sharp volcanic rock, sidewall thickness will be more important there than anywhere else in the U.S. I’ve never had work done by Desert Rat but they are otherwise pretty reliable place. I still often buy from them despite having left PHX 16 years ago.

Desert rat is a great shop. Mail order or at the brick and mortar 

• Like 1