Qx4 build started

So I finally started useing my ever-growing pile of parts, got engine tuned up. Next I'll service the transmission, and install aux cooler

>Do most folks bypass factory cooler? I've always installed aux coolers in line to increase efficiency, I worry just running the aux won't be sufficient. (I have a good Derale 19 row series 10000 stack plate cooler)

And I've got, or have ordered, everything for the suspension (all polly bushings, endlinks, 9447 rear springs, & KYBs) except for whatever I decide to use for front lift.

I dont like the idea of stressing the CVs with spacers, & I know it would be cheaper to use AC springs for 2 inches, but don't want to listen to the ole lady complaining about topping out. So I'm leaning towards ARB/OME HD springs & a 1 inch spacer. Currently no bumper mods, but am leaning towards at least a brush guard and skid plates. My overall goal is a dependable, comfortable daily driver with 245/75-17 ATs, and some occasional off roading (here in lower Alabama; hills, sand, mud, water, ruts. No rocks or mountains)

Does this sound like a reasonable set-up?

As soon as I figure out new phone and how to get pics to post, I'll be sharing more as I make more progress and project evolves!

I hooked my cooler up in line with the stock one. Unless you're working with an R51 (they had crap coolers that broke and dumped coolant into the transmission), or you've had a trans fail and fill the stock cooler with gunk and you don't want to replace the rad, I'd leave it in.

• Thanks 1

The ARB OME HD are engineered springs from an excellent offroad manufacturer. I would argue that they are the top of the line spring for the truck. You will definitely have a more palatable ride. I would look at @02_Pathy / theblackpathfinder [iG] prior to his PTSO SFD for an optimal 2” lift build. That truck was just about perfect - his SFD is fun but was not necessary. Personally, I would try it without the spacer first. You might find you like a little rake - especially if it levels out when loaded.

[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] bypassed his OEM cooler but we live in a temperate climate. He notes it can take a but to warm up when it’s cold out.

• Thanks 1

So everything is either in my shop or on the way, ordered 1" spacers from SFcreations last night.

What is up with the exorbitant shipping from 4x4parts? Are there any other options as to where to buy springs?

Bilstein lift & Ironman show they're out of stock.

Help! The last part, maybe should've been the 1st??

I think you’d be hard pressed to find many who “like” AC. The relabelling of brands, hiding brand identity & the shipping leave a bad taste. I tried to limit myself to one painful purchase as I couldn’t find some of the poly bushings elsewhere. Their deliveries arrive in a package with the real cost of shipping on the outside - it lets know just how much they overcharged you.  Absolutely no reason to buy ARB OME from them at all. Personally, I’d buy from Desert Rat out of AZ (free shipping/no tax/good reputation). My local 4WheelParts manager simply matched them by discounting to essentially a “no tax” purchase (my only 4WP purchase).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I think you’d be hard pressed to find many who “like” AC. The relabelling of brands, hiding brand identity & the shipping leave a bad taste. I tried to limit myself to one painful purchase as I couldn’t find some of the poly bushings elsewhere. Their deliveries arrive in a package with the real cost of shipping on the outside - it lets know just how much they overcharged you.  Absolutely no reason to buy ARB OME from them at all. Personally, I’d buy from Desert Rat out of AZ (free shipping/no tax/good reputation). My local 4WheelParts manager simply matched them by discounting to essentially a “no tax” purchase (my only 4WP purchase).

I completely agree with you! Desert rat is a great company. I live here in Az and have been into their shop several times and their great guys. Never had a bad experience with them. I’d honestly rather use OME coils from them with a half-1 inch spacer over 4x4

Edited by Sjackson2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did order my springs from Desert Rat!

I'm gonna go ahead and order strut bearings and bellows. I ordered 1 set of camber bolts, will 1 per side work with OME HD springs + 1" spacer, or will I need all 4?

My panhard bushings are backordered ;'(

So suspension is temp back-burnered.

I was getting the code for right vvt-solenoid, replaced it, now getting code for the left, ordered it. When I did my power valve screws I didn't have a thinwall deep 12mm to get the lower intake off, if I go back in to replace pcv & water valve do I need another new set of manifold gaskets, or am I safe to reuse the set I just replaced?

I did install a rear spoiler and replaced a cracked taillight in between working on sis-n-laws pathfinders overheating problem. Great learning experience :/

I'm gonna go ahead and order strut bearings and bellows. I ordered 1 set of camber bolts, will 1 per side work with OME HD springs + 1" spacer, or will I need all 4?
I was getting the code for right vvt-solenoid, replaced it, now getting code for the left, ordered it. When I did my power valve screws I didn't have a thinwall deep 12mm to get the lower intake off, if I go back in to replace pcv & water valve do I need another new set of manifold gaskets, or am I safe to reuse the set I just replaced?
I did install a rear spoiler and replaced a cracked taillight in between working on sis-n-laws pathfinders overheating problem. Great learning experience

You will more than likely need all 4 camber bolts. I had all four installed for a bit but never felt comfortable as the bolt is much smaller and weaker. I got rid of the different spacer configurations I tried and ran only ome hd spring. By far a much better set up with more reliability as my cv shafts are within spec. I still will discourage you from spacer + spring as will the more experienced users on here, unless of course you have a mall crawler.

Sent from my Pathfinder

On 5/21/2020 at 7:16 AM, BamaQX402 said:

So everything is either in my shop or on the way, ordered 1" spacers from SFcreations last night.

What is up with the exorbitant shipping from 4x4parts? Are there any other options as to where to buy springs?

Bilstein lift & Ironman show they're out of stock.

Help! The last part, maybe should've been the 1st??

Get OME springs from desert rat.com. Free shipping 

• Like 1

Waiting on my front springs and panhard bushings. I think I hear my front bearings starting to make noise, but it could be any of the other worn parts or a combination. I picked up a set of 8x15 aluminum wheels for my AT 31s. But only have 3.5" of backspace, another reason for bearings.

I think while I'm lifting and doing suspension bushings I'll go ahead and replace steering components so I'll only need 1 alignment. I had just paid for Firestones lifetime alignment on our Rogue about a week before my wife totaled it :(

So my parts pile is almost complete. Still waiting on a few items from Rockauto, panhard bushings, and my OME HD springs from Desert Rat. I spoke to them yesterday, said he was allotted 3 pairs (1 is mine!) and should have them week after next.

Gonna go back into the engine and replace both thermostats, PCV valve, flush cooling system, and replace the other VVT-Solenoid. Then tranny service, & add cooler. I can also get my 15" tires mounted on the wheels I picked up locally (15x8 American Racing Baja) gotta order some center caps too!

On 5/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, BamaQX402 said:

I did install a rear spoiler and replaced a cracked taillight in between working on sis-n-laws pathfinders overheating problem. Great learning experience :/

I'll throw in my personal anecdote on the intake manifold gaskets: I reused the upper intake manifold gasket on mine when I did my power valve screws last september. 222k and no CEL or engine performance changes

14 hours ago, Dbot said:

l throw in my personal anecdote on the intake manifold gaskets: I reused the upper intake manifold gasket on mine when I did my power valve screws last september. 222k and no CEL or engine performance changes

When I did mine last month, I almost didn't use the new ones. Now that I'm going in deeper, I'm glad I'll have the new lower.

We got called back to work so I'm not gonna have all the time I want for this project, but at least I'll have all the parts for as I find the time!

Scored some great sheet metal last night, I think I have skid plates covered (pun intended, lol) I saw a press in the dumster we used to dispense sealant from 55 gal drums, sure was torn, I saw all the material for potential front bumper build. But it weighs +/- 1000lbs, 10' down, and covered with black sticky goo, had to let it go, SMH...

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on parts...

Apparently it takes 8 weeks for items to ship from Australia?? But now I have 2 sets of panhard bushings on the way. I'll call Desert Rat in the morning to verify my OME springs shipped.

Started cleaning my 15" wheels, red scotchbrite & WD40. They look great & would probably polish up nicely, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna paint with self-etching primer then satin black. I work a full-time industrial maintenance job (12hr nights) and on my days off I've been reverting back to my previous life helping my son out with his swimming pool business. Getting too hot for this old man. I'm chomping to get started on this Qx4, the longer I wait the more parts I buy...

20200617_164555(1)_copy_800x279.jpg

So apparently I'm waiting till July for my springs...

Whiteline (3rd choice) panhard bushings came today, but Nolothanes (2nd choice) will be here Wed.

I'm gonna go ahead and start and when my front springs get here I'll just have front struts to do and then I'll add the rear springs at the same time. Then I'll be able to build my drop bracket for the panhard. I have fairly new tires on the front I'll just let them ride and when I'm all done, install my 15s for the alignment.

Just in case anyone was wondering, Whiteline and Nolothane are the same product.

Desert Rat called today to inform me that my OME springs will ship Monday!

Oh happy day!

• 5 weeks later...

Thursday I changed all my fluids, installed new fuel filter, blower motor, cabin air filters, gas & oil caps.

Today I mounted 2 245/65-17s on the rear to match the front tires (I wanted a benchmark for before/after lift measurements/pictures). And for fun, mounted 1 of my 31/10.5-15s to see how it looked. Kind of like the aluminum, but the satin finish sure smudges easy. If I don't paint them black (alredy bought the primer, satin black, & satin clear) I'd have to polish and seal them. My paint is falling off my fender flairs and my back bumper needs a repair, so I was planning to black out the bottom anyway. Not sure why, but the pics I'm allowed to post keep getting smaller...

20200727_152920_copy_800x600_copy_91x96.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I finally started lifting. Got the rear mostly done, gotta build a panhard drop bracket. I have a Sat morning appointment for alignment and new 245/75-17s!

I started on the front this morning. Everything disassembled; tie rods, swaybar bushings & links, axles, and struts are on, hub bearings & seals done, one lower control arm ready to install. I missed the fact that there's another set of axle bearings & seals, they'll be here tomorrow afternoon. I broke the bolt head off 1 ABS sensor bolt, I'll drill and tap that, then I destroyed the sensor, that will have to wait.

I removed the front tie down loops to make my brackets for a brushguard/ front receiver/ skid plate. Just gonna design as I build. I have some grinding and holes to drill for my missing link. And I straightened the rear bumper and mended the cover, I plan to sand the rest of the lower trim, and weather permitting, paint this week as well.

• Like 1

Got a lot done this week, despite starting from the bottom of the learning curve. I spent 5 days on this, but did some other thigs also (sanding/painting, panhard drop bracket, figuring cutting brushguard mounts) next one I could do in 2 days.

A little disappointed with the amount of front lift, I suspect I may have received OME MD, I wanted HD to accommodate extra weight, now I'm re-thinking my brushguard/receiver/skid plates and my solid missing link that probably weighs 20+ pounds

"Ignorane, once dispelled, never returns"

Some thigs I've learned;

There is a 3rd axle needle bearing in  the knuckle, apparently dealership only part# 40588-88G00 (and it can be changed without removing the $30 seal)

The hub bearings fit so tight, once I had the rotors on, I found it necessary to drive it onto the spindle. You're better off unplugging the ABS sensor and leaving it in the knuckle. When I tried tightening the locknuts on my SF spacers they unscrewed the bolts. I was afraid I'd strip the threaded holes in the spacer, but it's important to give them a good snug, and I used locktite.

Thought I had my oil leaks arrested, but now to my horror the RMS has started to drip...

• Like 1

That’s odd that you had to drive the hub onto the spindle. I remember to had to tap it with a small hammer a few times to center it but then i could shove the hub all the way back by hand. Maybe 5 pounds of shoving force was needed once it was centered. Got any panhard bracket pics?

4 hours ago, BamaQX402 said:

I guess I've used all my allotted pic space? I'll post some pics on the NPORA fb page tonight..

Not sure if you know this, but that NPORA facebook page and this website have absolutely no relation. If you need help with uploading photos a mod will be happy to help you here. @mjotrainbrain

8 hours ago, BamaQX402 said:

I guess I've used all my allotted pic space? I'll post some pics on the NPORA fb page tonight..

As @R50JR said, that page isn't associated with this forum in any way other than name and some member overlap. If you need help with pics feel free to reach out, or check out one of the how-to's posted in the pics and vids section of the forum! While the option to upload (very small) pictures to the forum exists, this feature is greatly limited intentionally to save server space. The solution for NPORA posting is to host the pictures externally and share them using the image's direct link and the post editor's built in tool to embed them.

• Like 1