Test drove my Pathfinder, found some issues

Job is done (what a PITA job).  The sad part is that the vibration is still there.  At this point I'm sending it to the shop next week.  I need to get this fixed and throwing parts at it is not helping.  I was super disappointed to still have the vibration after all of that work. ?

I thought it was 13 INCH/lbs. My smallest quarter inch drive torque wrench couldn't measure it, and I have a specialty one in my Amazon basket I never bought before my lifters died. Yes with the spindle socket on it should spin off with hand strength, but not be able to tighten easily with 2 finger strength.

That sucks when you do a big project and it doesn't fix. I understand just needing it fixed now on a daily driver. Assuming the shimmy seems to be from the front, have you tried jacking it up and shaking the wheel and links around?

I think it is likely a U joint somewhere.

I had lots of trouble with shimmy under high speed braking. As it got worse I think it would occasionally show up driving. I thought it was brake rotor warping, but I learned that almost never happens. What happens is oil contaminated rotors after a good amount of use develop different coefficient of friction along the surface that becomes inherent to the metal, and vibration is caused by the dragging change. This can't be fixed with even turning the rotors.

I got to where I quadruple cleaned my rotors on installation with soap and water and scrub brush, and brake cleaner with heavy rubbing, then very careful installation cleanliness, and the problem didn't return.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I get no vibration at all under braking.  That is why I ruled out the rotors.  I have arthritis in hand and that job yesterday left me in pain (couldn't even eat because I couldn't hold anything).  My hands feel beat to death, and I'm out of ideas.  I don't want to  put it in the shop, but throwing parts at it is going to get expensive.

Took it to my local shop today.  The owner took it for a spin an his initial diagnosis was that the vibration was coming from the front driveshaft.  He said that it was the same type of vibration you get when a carrier bearing fails.  As soon as I get some time, I'm going to remove the front driveshaft and see if the slip yoke is bad (is that even a thing?).

I'm assuming you still have the factory drive flanges and not manual hubs? If you have manual hubs and are not in 4wd, the front drive shaft wouldn't be turning.

Easy test is to remove the front driveline and go for a test drive. If vibes go away, it is in the driveline and I will bet it is a failing U-joint that will become noticable when the driveline is removed. 

We are fortunate enough to have a transmission shop that is honest and cheap.  They are going to take it on Friday and go through the driveline.  If it's just U-joints, I'll have them do all of them.  I have arthritis in both hands and hammering the races out and the new ones in have my hands a wreck right now.

Edited by Preacher

On 5/25/2020 at 10:10 AM, colinnwn said:

I thought it was 13 INCH/lbs. My smallest quarter inch drive torque wrench couldn't measure it, and I have a specialty one in my Amazon basket I never bought before my lifters died. Yes with the spindle socket on it should spin off with hand strength, but not be able to tighten easily with 2 finger strength.

That sucks when you do a big project and it doesn't fix. I understand just needing it fixed now on a daily driver. Assuming the shimmy seems to be from the front, have you tried jacking it up and shaking the wheel and links around?

I think it is likely a U joint somewhere.

I had lots of trouble with shimmy under high speed braking. As it got worse I think it would occasionally show up driving. I thought it was brake rotor warping, but I learned that almost never happens. What happens is oil contaminated rotors after a good amount of use develop different coefficient of friction along the surface that becomes inherent to the metal, and vibration is caused by the dragging change. This can't be fixed with even turning the rotors.

I got to where I quadruple cleaned my rotors on installation with soap and water and scrub brush, and brake cleaner with heavy rubbing, then very careful installation cleanliness, and the problem didn't return.

It is 13 Inch/lbs. What I do usually is do the final tightening with the wheel on, and just tighten it enough so there's no noticeable play. Been doing it like that since I got a wd21 in 2005.

Thank you everyone for your help.  The shop called this afternoon and said that it needed u-joints.  Mr_Reverse, you were right on the money.  I had some broken wheel studs so I had them do all of it while they had the truck.  Picked it up and it drives perfectly.  I was so happy that I even washed it.  The fender is at my friends shop, I will pick it up next week and go about figuring how to put it on.   I still have some work today, but the big things are done!!

20200529_193421-X2.jpg

• Like 3

Don't know if you can tell from this pic, but this is after a good claying and buffing.  This finish was super rough to the touch so I got the Griot's synthetic clay pad (which I seriously recommend).  Once I got the paint smooth again, I broke our the orbital buffer with the orange pad and got to work my Poor Boy's World medium compound (I love it because it can be used in direct sunlight).  the oxidation and shallow swirls just melted away!   I don't know if you can see the difference in the pic, but the difference in person is amazing.

20200531_083306-X2.jpg

I did this to my pathfinder when I first bought it. It had to be one of the most rewarding jobs I ever did to it. Still looks great years later (I strip and apply some kind of wax every year).

I really want to thank you guys.  I have limited mechanical knowledge and seems even more limited diagnostic skills.  Your advice has been invaluable and thanks to you guys this truck as gone from sitting on the side of the road abandoned and waiting for the city impound it to being back on the road and looking pretty spiffy to boot.  I hope to enjoy this truck for years to come.

Thank you.  I was indeed lucky!  I don't know that rule on posting links here, but there is a website that links salvage yards.  I just kept searching until I found a red fender.  There is a faded spot on the flare but I don't mind since I have no plans on making this truck "perfect".  Just glad I can open the door without it popping against the fender.