Flyingpathy bought the wrong springs me thinks.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum so I'm still getting used to everything here. I don't think I'm violating any guidelines but please let me know if I'm not using proper etiquette. Stoked there's a central location for everything pathfinder related, love it!

I recently did a lift on my 03 R50 and I didn't quite get the results I was looking for. I have a massive rake (2" difference) so I think I purchased the wrong springs for my struts. I'm thinking I didn't do enough research...bleh

Upgrades include:

NRC9447 rear coils, Bilstein B8 5125 rear shocks, OME ARB 2928 front coils, stock strut shocks.

I was under the impression that the ARB coils would add 2" to the front but it's only looking like .5-.75" maybe. Cost me $260 CAD too. I assembled the struts myself too so I'm kinda bummed all that effort was for naught. Does anyone have any experience buying the wrong parts? Can I salvage some of the cost on these if I have to change out the front springs?

Any advice on what I can do to correct this rake? I'd prefer to not use spacers on the front (to protect the cv's). Switch out the ARBs for the ACs?

Thanks in advance!

iA8325q.jpg

I would recommend swapping out the front coils for ACs. I have little to no rake with mine.

I guarantee you can resell the ARB coils on eBay but it probably won’t be the fastest sell. Might be better off looking for someone on here who wants them, or maybe some of the other Nissan r50 communities?

I like the sounds of that. I read a bit of your last post and those AC coils look promising. How long did it take for yours to be delivered?

Also, what height does your body sit at now? I'm currently at 36" ground to trim in the back. 34" in the front.

1 hour ago, flyingpathy said:

I like the sounds of that. I read a bit of your last post and those AC coils look promising. How long did it take for yours to be delivered?

Also, what height does your body sit at now? I'm currently at 36" ground to trim in the back. 34" in the front.

I’ll measure it for you whenever I have a free second 

The wait time was about a week I think?

5 hours ago, flyingpathy said:

This measurement is not a way to tell how much body lift you have. Biggest factor are tires (size, pressure). Hub center to trim is better for this.

1 hour ago, R50JR said:

This measurement is not a way to tell how much body lift you have. Biggest factor are tires (size, pressure). Hub center to trim is better for this.

Great point. Thanks for the tip.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:40 PM, flyingpathy said:

Hey man sorry for the delay, I measured the heights for you.

Right now my front is:

21” from the hub to the fender 

36” from the fender to the ground 

And my rear is:

19.5” from hub to fender

34.5” from fender to ground

Just like I thought, I’ve got a negative rake of about 1.5” because of all the weight in the rear. Once the 9449s go in, I should be back to about even, maybe a bit of positive rake

Hey no worries!

4 hours ago, PathyGig12 said:

Right now my front is:

21” from the hub to the fender 

36” from the fender to the ground 

And my rear is:

19.5” from hub to fender

34.5” from fender to ground

Right on. I'm at about 20" hub to fender on the front and 21.5" hub to fender on the back. But that's mostly empty in the back so a full load would probably level it out.

On your front though, do you ever experience hard drops when you're front wheels get air? As in the strut extends quickly and makes a thud? Is that a problem these lifts face? Harsh top-out is the term I meant.

Edited by flyingpathy
Added top-out

1 hour ago, flyingpathy said:

Hey no worries!

Right on. I'm at about 20" hub to fender on the front and 21.5" hub to fender on the back. But that's mostly empty in the back so a full load would probably level it out.

On your front though, do you ever experience hard drops when you're front wheels get air? As in the strut extends quickly and makes a thud? Is that a problem these lifts face? Harsh top-out is the term I meant.

Oh definitely. The top-outs happen a few times a week for me, but you can usually tell when it’s going to happen so you can go slow. 

It’s pretty widely accepted that topping out doesn’t damage anything anyway, and if it really bothered me I would just put some limiting straps on to stop the issue entirely. But I’m not super concerned with it, just an annoying clunk every once in a while.