Swapping in an Automatic Shift Transfer Case

Riderman

Hello, I have a 98 pathfinder SE 4x4.  I can get deal on a low miles JDM  transmission with transfer case.  The problem  is the JDM transfer case has the automatic shift option.  Will this work in my pathfinder?  Does it have to be electrically connected or anything.  I'm going to guess worst case I can pull the automatic shift transfer case and install mine if required.  Any information about this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Use your old transfer case. The electric-shift transfer case (ATX14A) is a complicated little bugger, and yes, it's computer-controlled. If you want to see what you'd be up against, go on Nico and check out the transfer case section of the '03 or '04 R50 service manual.

• Like 1

Yeah I’d honestly prefer to switch in the opposite direction. Like swapping in a manual transfer case from the AUTO one that my LE came with. It’s an absolute nightmare when it comes to manual hubs and there’s sensors and electronics everywhere that could go wrong and leave you screwed

OK, thank you for the response.   Last question, the transmission is out of a 03 Xterra that had a 3.3 like mine.  I'm sure the Transmission will bolt up to my pathy.  Based on what you two have said, my manual xfer case should bolt up to my transmission with no issues correct?  When you look up the interchange between the 98 pathfinder and 03 Xterra it states the transmissions are incompatible.  If it will work I'm going to pull the trigger and purchase it. 

I'll let you all know in a few weeks how things fit together.  I bought a rebuilt transmission from a 04 Xterra on Ebay.  I purchased a front differential and transfer case with 45K miles from a 96 pathfinder, I purchased a JDM 3.3L engine as well, all from Ebay.  My daughter's 98 pathfinder SE has 258K miles on it.  I want it to last a LONG time.   I'm purchasing from Rock Auto all gaskets, seals including the water pump/timing belt kit and will replace all drive belts/fluids.  I already replaced her entire interior, except the dash with one from a near cherry 2001 Pathfinder, and I painted it two years ago.  She already has new tires/brakes, rear differential, etc.  A coworker has a Buick V6 car with over 200K miles.  He just paid a shop in N.C. about 2 thousand dollars to replace ONE head, a used JY head at that, all lifters and labor including labor to trouble shoot his problem.  I'm going to have about that much $$ in everything I just purchased, including shipping and tax.  Now....I just gatta do the work...:)

Edited by Riderman
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It Fits!  The 04 Xterra transmission was Plug and play into my 98 pathfinder..  The only "issue" was the Xterra's transmission wiring harness was a few inches shorter than the pathfinders.  I could have easily swapped harnesses but I chose to just move my pathfinders chassis wiring a little and tie wrapped/zip tied them to the speed sensor cable.  My pathfinder TX10 transfer case bolted right up to this transmission.  I'll make a separate post with a few more details soon.

• Like 3