WD21 Lift

Hey guys I'm looking for economic ways to lift my Pathy and I was wondering if this D21 lift kit would work for it. I am also wondering if I replace the shocks will I lose the sport mode function on my rig? Thanks for the responses. I'm glad this place exists 

It will except the rear shocks and shackles.  This kit is to suit a pickup - they run leaf springs in rear.  Not sure on your sport mode. 

Probably cheaper to go and buy a set of UCAs, shocks and source some  secondhand jeep springs for the rear. . 

Edited by FirstGenFreak
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much what he said. The only things you need from that kit are the UCAs. There's a lot of info around here on which UCAs are best and how to get them without buying a whole kit, I don't remember offhand which/how though.

And yes, the "sport" mode is built into the stock shocks, so swapping them out deletes that system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Pretty much what he said. The only things you need from that kit are the UCAs. There's a lot of info around here on which UCAs are best and how to get them without buying a whole kit, I don't remember offhand which/how though.

And yes, the "sport" mode is built into the stock shocks, so swapping them out deletes that system.

Doyouknow of any shocks that could keep this system?

I think Adamzan tracked down a set of new (old stock?) replacement adjustable shocks for his. I'm sure they weren't cheap. I'm not aware of any direct-fit aftermarket replacement, unfortunately. I replaced mine with standard (non-adjustable) KYB Excel-G shocks and taped up the wires in case I find some use for them later.

• Thanks 1

Just tried searching on this site, but didnt work out that well.  Does anyone have any links on finding UCA's without getting a whole kit?  i just got new HD shocks and would like to lift a bit.  Also what jeep springs lift the back a bit?

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981693-super-lift-front-suspension-lift.html

That's your best bet

Choose your rear coils here:

https://www.4x4parts.com/c-1046883-suspension-suspension-lift-components-rear-suspension-components-pathfinder.html

I would not waste time pissing around with the jeep springs. I did that years ago and they never gave a compliant ride. I have the 3" coils in mine for almost 10 years and they have not sagged at all.

Keep in mind if you lift the rear you will need to replace the rear shocks with longer ones.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 6:12 AM, Slartibartfast said:

I think Adamzan tracked down a set of new (old stock?) replacement adjustable shocks for his. I'm sure they weren't cheap. I'm not aware of any direct-fit aftermarket replacement, unfortunately. I replaced mine with standard (non-adjustable) KYB Excel-G shocks and taped up the wires in case I find some use for them later.

Yes they were not cheap and they took forever to get. I had to source them from different places (Dealer, ebay). It's great to have but honestly if I had to do it again I would just put bilsteins all the way around. The KYB Excel G ones were softer than the 20 year old OEM ones on the back, and the front had some Monroe blue crap that was installed by the shop I bought it from to pass inspection.

When it comes to shocks I've pretty much tried all brands on the wd21. Rancho rs5000 are great if it is just a weekend wheeler and not a DD.

Edited by adamzan

My Pathfinder is a unique collection of parts that mostly works for me. 

That said, here is my input. 

My 93 when I bought it in 99 had 128k miles on it and I assume the factory installed switchable shocks were the original units. I never noticed a change in mine when switched between sport and touring. I did the tests and was able to hear all 4 click when the switch was operated, just felt the same to me. 

I did a 3" suspension lift using the kit with 30% stiffer torsion bars and 3" coils from AC about 20 years ago. It came with a set of the Rancho 5000 shocks. I hated them, just didn't work well for me. I eventually changed the rear lift coils out with a pair of front coils made for a late 70's early 80's Ford F150. I trimmed the pigtails off to fit my mounts. They gave me lift I was looking for, but a very harsh ride unless I had 700+ lbs in the back or a trailer hooked up with good tongue weight. Also had a tendency for the right spring to fall out when flexed out. I had found the rear shocks were a little too short for the lift and so got a pair of ProComp ES3000's for the rear. These shocks did ride better than the Ranchos for me. Then I got tired of the issues the Ford springs had, and went back to the first lift coils with a spacer to give me the rear lift I was after. That setup just was not working for me, so got a pair of 4" lift coils for the front of a 90's Grand Cherokee. I trimmed a coil off with the pigtails to fit my stock mounts. They gave me the 5" lift I was after and I found the ride to be a bit firm, but not bad. I tend to carry a couple hundred pounds of "stuff" in my truck so worked for me. Had one shock finally blow it's seals and die. I picked up a pair of Bilsteins that came off a new 17 Titan Pro4x for the great price of free (the parts department at the dealership I was working at was tired of the pile of them sitting there as take-offs from the Titans that had lifts installed and was throwing them out). I had to do some grinding and drilling on the bushing eyes to fit the mounting studs on my truck, but they fit well and work great for me. 

Up front, I finally broke the right front shock a little while back. Found a pair of ProComps and have been satisfied with them. 

I started with a 3" suspension lift, and I have maxed the front out. It has been a miserable experience for me over the years. I have gone through a LOT of tierods, idler arms, ball joints, center links, bushings, CV boots/axles and such. I also installed a 3" bodylift about a year after the suspension lift. If I was to do it again, I would leave the suspension near stock, probably just turn it up about 1 1/2" and do the 3" bodylift. The bodylift gave me room for larger tires, the suspension lift didn't. It also has made a lot of things easier to get at and work on especially around the engine. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse
  • Like 2