'89 Pathfinder NEED HELP!

My 1989Pathfinder has been having problems for months. I can't figure out why the idle is surging (2000-2700 up and down). I've rebuilt the throttle body, replaced the mixture heater, the IACV, the wax type elements, amd cleaned the EGR. I have new plugs and I'm certain I don't have a vacuum leak anywhere. Could this be an ECM problem? Any ideas are worth trying

That's a very high idle. I've had some stuff apart where there's a little play between the throttle plate and the screws, which allows you to tighten the throttle plate just cockeyed enough to where it won't close fully. (Check the throttle cable adjustment while you're at it.) If that checks out, I'd check the PCV valve (should be able to blow through one way but not the other) and its hoses. I haven't heard of many computer failures on these, except in cases where that puddle was an awful lot deeper than it looked.

On the off chance you haven't seen it yet, this might have some good info.

• Like 1

I have checked my computer and got a code 55 (no malfunction) I could take the throttlebody off and try the throttle plate screws. It didnt close all the way when I had it off replacing the gaskets. However, there it literally no suction coming from the throttlebody. Im going to test for vacuum leaks tonight

Spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around every hose connection and gasket joint in the intake system.

When you hit the offending spot you'll notice a change in engine RPM and maybe even a puff of smoke. 

Also look at your EGR valve. 

I searched for vacuum leaks and couldn't find anything. Sprayed every hose on both ends and the engine didnt react. After a few minutes amd a couple starts I ended up vapor-locking it and gave up. Got any other ideas?

That no suction from the throttle body has to be an indicator to your problem. Have you searched the forum? Try using the key words.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Well, it does have suction, but I can put my hand over it and it doesnt change anything. I have tirelessly searched this and other forums for a problem like mine and havent found an answer. Im close to just sending it somewhere to get fixed

Well, it does have suction, but I can put my hand over it and it doesnt change anything. I have tirelessly searched this and other forums for a problem like mine and havent found an answer. Im close to just sending it somewhere to get fixed
Josh bud, sometimes you just have to call a mechanic. Personally 3 times have I called one. I say call because he's my neighbor and has a shop in his back yard. This last time was to bleed my clutch, I know a easy one to fix. Having just replaced my slave cylinder I didn't have the time to go buy a lil hose and call somebody to come pump it. So he came over last Saturday while I went to Fresno to go pick up a big ass swamp cooler. 10$ is what he charged me I gave him 25$ because of the convenience!

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

If you can block off the intake side of the throttle body and the engine keeps running, you have a massive leak, more than just manifold or throttle body to intake gasket leaks. 

Try taking the hose off the brake booster and capping the hose. See if the engine settles down. If that fixes the idle, then you have a bad brake booster. If there is no or low suction on the brake booster hose at the booster end, follow the hose to the manifold and see where it is broken. At idle it should have a strong suction since it is straight into the intake manifold. 

Sorry, hard to diagnose using a forum board. Can't really think of anything other than looking closely at all the vacuum lines and manifold. Don't forget the PCV valve. A simple check on it is to pull the oil dipstick while the engine is idling and see if there is a suction there. If there is, then it is likely the valve is bad.