What is this thing?

KanyeFresh

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2004 Pathfinder Chinook and so this is my first post on the forum. 

Anyways, I'm confused why my rear window hinge looks different than other pathfinders. I didn't notice it before I bought it, otherwise I would have asked the previous owner.

Any ideas? It looks like they replaced the original hinge with an aftermarket one in order to mount something?

https://imgur.com/a/5dnjtVS

Thanks!

Yep, those hinges are for the wing spoiler. My 93 is an SE and so came with the spoiler. Years back a friend of mine had a 95XE without it. After a few trail runs together and travel on dirt roads we noticed that the rear window of his always had a thick layer of dust blocking vision, and mine would have only a thin layer that hardly was noticable. We found one in a local Junkyard and that was when we noticed that the hinges are different. Swapped the hinges and installed the wing and his rear window stayed clear also. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/9/2020 at 11:52 PM, Dozzerwd21 said:

Yup first gen spoiler hinges. Didn't know they would fit an 04.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Nope, not first gen (88-95), the 96-04 had them also. Typically here in the states, the SE models had the rear spoiler, most XE & LE models did not.

Nope, not first gen (88-95), the 96-04 had them also. Typically here in the states, the SE models had the rear spoiler, most XE & LE models did not.

Actually, I believe they were standard on LE, at least as of ‘02 (mine had it when I bought it new & it wasn’t an option, whereas@TowndawgR50 is an LE & does not have it). The attachment design changed from ‘01 to ‘02-‘04. As of ‘02 it is 2 units that are the hinge & the pylon, before that (at least in the U.S., the hing & spoiler pylon were separate units - I believe the pylon/riser was outboard of the hatch hinge.

16 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Actually, I believe they were standard on LE, at least as of ‘02 (mine had it when I bought it new & it wasn’t an option, whereas@TowndawgR50 is an LE & does not have it). The attachment design changed from ‘01 to ‘02-‘04. As of ‘02 it is 2 units that are the hinge & the pylon, before that (at least in the U.S., the hing & spoiler pylon were separate units - I believe the pylon/riser was outboard of the hatch hinge.

Hmm, my father-in-law bought his 01 LE the same time I bought my 01 SE (Aug 2001), I have it, he doesn't.  May depend on particular packages and options.  We all know how often Nissan likes to switch things up!

• Like 2

Hmm, my father-in-law bought his 01 LE the same time I bought my 01 SE (Aug 2001), I have it, he doesn't. 

Correct, that’s consistent with what I said.[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] LE does NOT have it, my ‘02 LE does. In ‘02 it was standard on the LE, 100% sure of that as I bought mine new & only option mine came with was the floor mats. Mounting system changed from ‘01 to ‘02 as well. I looked in ‘01 but held off a year for the brighter silver - though I’ve always loved the SE grill & the ‘01 SE charcoal fenders & bumper.

• Like 1