Timing Recommendations

Volox

Anyone have good recommendations on a decent quality timing light? 

And while I'm at it, what timing position have people generally found to be 'right' for their WD21 VG engines?

not sure what you mean for right timing position and gates, continental are pretty decent all around belt brands. ive seen aisin floating around a lot so they also seem to be alright. if youre talking about where the timing has to be there should be marks on the crank and cam shaft sprockets and on the heads and block pointing to where they should be lined up.

There's factory service manual downloads available on here that give you detailed instructions on how to change your timing belt . Just get your crank tdc and your rotor should be on the plug #1 iirc

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

I had an Inova 5568 for over 10 years. I liked it a lot, but is a bit overkill for shade tree mechanics and even more so now days when very few cars have adjustable timing. A few months ago, I tried to use it and found the non replaceable strobe bulb has died. I am finding it hard to justify the cost of another one when I need one once a year or so. 

As for timing, with the old Pathfinder, the hood label gives the spec of 10°BTC. Mine is about 15° due to my elevation. The spec is for sea level, and the old rule of thumb was to add 1° for every 1000 ft of elevation. Same reason regular gas here is 85 octane. The thinner air reduces compression in the cylinder, so requires fuel a bit easier to ignite. 

The service manual calls for 15° +/- 2° for '90 and up. (The hood sticker on my '93 agrees.) Set the timing with the engine warmed up and the trans in neutral if yours is automatic. The '89 manual shows 12° +/- 2° for the VG30i and 10° +/- 2° for the Z24i. I haven't experimented with the timing on my '93 but I doubt that a few degrees either way would make much of a difference.

I'm no help on what's a good timing light, I've got an old crappy Sears one that's not even inductive.

Oops, sorry. Bad memory on the timing spec. 

The cost on the light I have is about $130 on Amazon. I think I bought mine for about the same price at AutoZone, looking back, closer to 20 years ago than the 10 I was thinking. I liked it because I am an auto mechanic for my profession and found it more convenient than the ones that had a trigger that had to be held while using. Also, the voltmeter, tach, and being able to select between 4 and 2 cycle were bonuses. I think I used the dwell function a couple times, but that was back when it was new. it has been a long time since I had to work on an engine that had contact points. When I got it I was looking for one with advance to replace the light that got destroyed when my home burned down a few years before. That light had advance and I fell in love with that and decided it was a must-have. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse

Like I said before, only need it once or twice a year. Would prefer to just replace the strobe bulb, but can't seem to find one. So I probably will get a new one someday. Just not a priority and have lots of other things to pay for. Like my scan tool, my snap-on rep told me a few weeks ago that they might be discontinuing support on mine in the next year or two. Makes sense, it is about 12 years old, but $8k is a bit more than I can finance right now. That is what it would have been after discounts and trade in of my current Verus Pro. 

Thanks for the great suggestions and info. I always waiver between buying the timing light vs. just limping down to the shop and having them do the timing. Price wise it is one of those things where the cheap tools that might or might not get the job done are less than the mechanic and the tools that are decent quality are going to cost me more.

I'm hoping that one of these days I'll have a decent DIY garage nearby that will make these decisions less difficult.

Sears Craftsman timing light is a great one. Of course since Sears is no more all Craftsman tools are made over seas so quality in my book is way below standard. I've had this one for almost 10 years and never had any problems.42acc33f8de081ebd95a6fa1104c2a4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Like I said before, only need it once or twice a year. Would prefer to just replace the strobe bulb, but can't seem to find one. So I probably will get a new one someday. Just not a priority and have lots of other things to pay for. Like my scan tool, my snap-on rep told me a few weeks ago that they might be discontinuing support on mine in the next year or two. Makes sense, it is about 12 years old, but $8k is a bit more than I can finance right now. That is what it would have been after discounts and trade in of my current Verus Pro. 
I definitely feel you on being on budget. It seems like my pathy gets no love but I do have 2 kids and fam to support.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Yep, I was a single dad with 2 kids when I got my Pathfinder. Now I have been grandpa for 5 years. Family always has priority. 

I wish you well and hope you and yours the best. 

By the way, my daughter practically was raised in that old Pathfinder on many trails. She says it is hers when I pass on and she used to take it out for wheeling weekends a few years ago when I doing better. Now she has my Sorento and I wouldn't be surprised if she has used low range in it a few times. 

• Like 1