2003 pathfinder R50 timing chain tensioner

during my replacement of water pump, while I was putting the tensioner back in the metal gasket slid down behind the timing chain cover.

Not visible......

I know im f'd.....but any helpful suggestion would be appreciated.

I am not setup to lift the engine to remove upper and lower oil pan.

Sent from my nami using Tapatalk

I’m assuming your water pump replacement involved removing those two black steel covers from the aluminum timing chain cover? (You left the aluminum timing chain cover on). You don’t have to lift the engine out but you do have to remove that timing chain cover, which involves removing anything that’s in its way like the oil filter and pulleys. You’ll need a pulley wrench for the crankshaft pulley. I’d suggest getting a new crankshaft seal for the front timing chain cover and double check your o rings that fit in the inside of the timing chain cover. You may need to remove some plumbing and wires that cross in front of the cover but leave the AC pipe. Take your time removing the cover so you don’t damage it. There are some bolts the are vertically aligned that hold it in around that oil filter so don’t forget those. It’s easier with two people pulling it off. When it’s off expect to spend and hour or so cleaning the old rtv silicone off the mating surfaces. When it’s off, you can see everything and should be able to access the mia gasket. Just don’t touch the cam phasers or sprockets with any screwdrivers or magnets. Haynes and Chilton manuals are surprisingly accurate and detailed for this project if you find YouTube or FSM lacking

• Like 1

Also, don't lose the little filter screens in the front cover for the cam phasers. It isn't a terrible job but does take a lot of time and there are a couple of small O-rings that will need replacing too. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info...
Have the Haynes book and totally agree on its usefulness......although some of the illustrations are hard to see due to low print ink.
What you describe is what everything I read said.
I was lucky though.....had a neighbor who let me borrow an inspection cam.
Was able to find it sitting about 2 " down inside....use a copper wire with a hook and fished it out.....had to grab and twist some with a long nose to get it completely out.....definitely had to replace after that.....those cameras due have some usefulness.
Went back at it with flat braided dishing line thru lower bolt hold to assure it didn't slide back in again. Cut once one bolt was in .....finished the rest without issue.
Appreciate the shared advice.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk