Attempted break in, would have been happier if they broke a window.

DonutHands

I guess good on Nissan for not letting them get into this 20+ year old car. But damn, I wish they did get in easier because they destroyed the sheet metal around the lock too so its just floating in the hole now. Could have broke the window and I would have been much happier than even attempting the lock. Even sillier, i don't think the rear hatch was even locked at the time that this happened.

Anyone have a spare passenger door in this horrible teal color lying around? lol.

IMG_3902.jpg

• Like 2

i feel that exact pain they did it to mine when i was younger in a pool parking lot but they actually got in and the sheet metal is way more pushed back and open then yours you can stick a finger between the cylinder and the panel. and seeing youre in LA theres probably a few JY that are near you that have this colour and panel. you can get replacement cylinders from nissan.

what im going to do since mine is driver side is pull the lift gate cylinder and use that so my ignition key still works in the door and the rogue key goes to the back door since that key is an odd one out and only for 1 door.

Even with all the cars here in LA, its a joke trying find anything. It's all auto dismantlers and the pick a part places are picked clean daily. Plus, who would buy this god awful teal color.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DonutHands said:

Even with all the cars here in LA, its a joke trying find anything. It's all auto dismantlers and the pick a part places are picked clean daily. Plus, who would buy this god awful teal color.

theres gotta be one around somewhere that you can steal a door off of

26 minutes ago, DonutHands said:

So this happened the night before last. This morning I find that they tried the driver door now.

Now neither door will accept my key.

you might want to get some cameras or park your car in the garage or down the street from now on. if they're dumb enough to do it twice they'll do it a third :)

• Like 1

Filed a police report, don't expect anything to come of if, really just to have the crime reported on some metric somewhere I guess. Officer said they were probably trying to steal it if they came back again. WTF!?!? Who wants to steal this old bucket? 

So I parked it in my apartments gated spot. Had to move my slightly nicer car to the street for now. 

• Like 1

The sad fact is that adding a camera will just add something else they steal. In Seattle, when they stole my Maxima & broke into my Pathfinder in a locked garage, the police didn’t even want to see the video of the Ford Ranger they brought in with their tools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RainGoat said:

The sad fact is that adding a camera will just add something else they steal. In Seattle, when they stole my Maxima & broke into my Pathfinder in a locked garage, the police didn’t even want to see the video of the Ford Ranger they brought in with their tools.

i was meaning stick it in a window in the house if available or something not so much inside of the car itself. with him mentioning it being an apartment may not be so easy to do.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:02 PM, Strato_54 said:

i was meaning stick it in a window in the house if available or something not so much inside of the car itself. with him mentioning it being an apartment may not be so easy to do.

I was thinking about buying a Ring battery powered camera and sticking it inside. If it gets stolen at least the video gets uploaded to Ring.com. 

Unfortunately my WiFi does not reach the street, im at the back of the apartment building. Would have to ask a neighbor to use their wifi.

My dad put up a camera at his office, and not only did the tweakers steal it, they left a "thanks for the camera" note. The Wi-fi system seems like a good idea if you can swing it with your neighbors. Maybe posting pictures of the thieves on a few telephone poles would spook them.

You can probably bend the metal back enough for a new lock to seat. I don't know if the back of that panel is any easier to get at than it is on the WD21, hopefully it is. It's a common enough type of damage, you might even find a video guide for how it's done.

• Like 1

Ring says they will replace the camera for free if you file a police report stating it was stolen which is good to know if i decide to go this route.

I will probably stop by a metal shop and see if they can tack a small piece of sheet metal over the passenger side door, spray paint it, and just be done with it. I have a good locksmith nearby, hopefully they can re-key a replacement driver side door lock. Sheet metal is not damaged on the driver side.