brake master cylinder rehab, seals?

92SEPathFindr

Hey NPORA, looking to replace or rehab the brake cylinder or get the seals replaced on my 1992 SE Pathy?  It’s been leaking for about 6 months and unfortunately the brake fluid is corroding the paint and parts below the cylinder now.  I’m asking what’s the best way to stop the leaking and it’s probably a seal or o-ring, ...not sure?  Everything is functional otherwise yet the leaking is getting worse and you can see the brake fluid on the driveway in the one photo.  What’s the best remedy, replacing the brake master cylinder (what brand?), and or can the seals in a kit be ordered?  Thanks for any help, advice.  Cheers 

f5kUt8l.jpg
mZnyfOZ.jpg
YExulxY.jpg

Both times I've had one fail, it was leaking around some little mystery port next to one of the hose connections. Have someone push the pedal and watch the master, I could see fluid welling out of that hole when the brakes pressurized. I don't think I've seen a seal kit to rebuild these, doesn't mean they don't exist though. New MCs aren't too expensive. I tried a few brands when I was having issues with my brakes (long story) and didn't notice much difference between them. There is supposed to be a difference between the rear disk vs rear drum masters, though, so make sure you get the right one for your truck. Good luck, hopefully your brake work doesn't turn into a colossal PITA like mine did!

• Like 1

I haven't seen a rebuild kit for the MC, but as has been said, replacements are not very expensive, though it does seem to be a crap shoot with the aftermarket ones. I have gone through a few for my 93, one was bad out of the box. The latest one has lasted for about 14 years though. 

Also as has been said, there are 2 versions for the WD21. One is 4 wheel disc and the other is for rear drum. The disc version runs a bit more fluid at higher pressure to the rear circuit than the rear drum version. They should not be mixed up, or there will be imbalance in the braking system preventing proper operation. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 2:55 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Both times I've had one fail, it was leaking around some little mystery port next to one of the hose connections. Have someone push the pedal and watch the master, I could see fluid welling out of that hole when the brakes pressurized. I don't think I've seen a seal kit to rebuild these, doesn't mean they don't exist though. New MCs aren't too expensive. I tried a few brands when I was having issues with my brakes (long story) and didn't notice much difference between them. There is supposed to be a difference between the rear disk vs rear drum masters, though, so make sure you get the right one for your truck. Good luck, hopefully your brake work doesn't turn into a colossal PITA like mine did!

Mine is currently doing the same thing... leaking out of that little port. I have an '87 with drums; is there a way to differentiate between the MCs for the two? 

The listing for a new aftermarket MC should specify if it's for disks or drums. They're identical externally as near as I can tell. The part that's different between them (the proportioning valve) is internal.

• Like 1