92SEPathFindr

What’s up NPORA, looking for what this part, the insulation / filter material inside the air filter canister, is called, part#, where to order, or what can be used to replace this material in there.  I’m fairly confident it’s original from 1992 and according to some research I have done, having it cleaned or replaced before a smog will help with the smog check (California).  I did read that it can be cleaned yet I would prefer to replace it or order a replacement if that’s possible.  Also I thought about just removing it, cleaning the inside of the canister, and going to smog it but if the smog station looks in the canister and sees it missing that might be a smog fail right there.  
Any thoughts on this replacing, cleaning, smogging, or buying a piece of generic material to use in place of this old nasty piece.  I appreciate any feedback, thanks! 

HhdSLzU.jpg
JhFoSV0.jpg
xg5C2Dt.jpg

The '80s two-door trucks have a reed valve between the airbox and the charcoal canister for the air injection system, is that what you read about? The pad you're looking at isn't mentioned in the emission control section of the manual (or anywhere else, at least not that I've seen; even the exploded diagram here doesn't show it). It looks like it's made of carpet padding wrapped in the stuff the hood insulation's covered with, so I doubt it's anything special. More than likely it's just sound deadening for the intake for people who don't like whoosh noises.

Mine's been gone since I got the truck. A packrat shredded it for nesting material, and I removed the brackets when I cleaned out the mess. I didn't replace it with anything and haven't noticed any issues stemming from it (though now that I think of it, there was a whistling noise from the PCV connection to the intake tube that took a while to track down). We don't have smog checks out here, but I'd be surprised if even California made a fuss about a manky pot holder that's not in the service manual or on the emissions sticker under the hood.

If you want to replace it with something, you might try egg-crate foam. Just make sure you don't block off the drain hole underneath it.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Thanks 1

That is not something that even California will worry about. That padding in there is simply noise insulation. It is in there to reduce intake noise and will not affect the engine or emissions in any way. 

• Thanks 1