Starting problems

dg1

Ok guys been awhile since I was on here,Hello every one, have 93 pathy. Lately will not crank, what I mean is that in the morning starts and runs fine but if I kill it, sometimes it won't start again until I let it sit a while, it is getting fuel from the pump and fire, but I think it must not be getting fuel to the injectors,  any thoughts?

Edited by dg1
Left out details

By will not crank do you mean the engine does not turn over at all?

Usually if it won't start hot it could indicate poor fuel pressure if is still turning over. Have you tested the pressure with a gauge? You can rent them at most auto parts stores.

• Thanks 1

It will turn over, good strong battery,  I haven't tested fuel pressure, fuel pump does come on but maybe it doesn't have enough pressure, thanks for you reply, btw do you know how much pressure it should have? 

With hot soak, a couple things to check. Check for spark, sometimes the ignition module in the distributor will fail when hot. Check your fuel pressure, but also watch for pressure drop. Fuel pressure I think should be 30-40 psi range if I recall correctly. It should hold the pressure for a while after the engine is shut off. If it drops more than 10 psi in 5 min, it is possible you have a leaking injector that is flooding the cylinder making hot starts hard. You can try holding the throttle open while cranking and see if that helps. Have heard reports of injectors failing when hot also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dg1 said:

It will turn over, good strong battery,  I haven't tested fuel pressure, fuel pump does come on but maybe it doesn't have enough pressure, thanks for you reply, btw do you know how much pressure it should have? 

i

If I recall that should be over 43 at startup and 51 running warmed up at idle.

• Thanks 1

Was eating dinner and trying to recall a spec I haven't used in years. I deal with many different years, brands, and models at work so my memory is not the most trustworthy. According to the manual I have stored on my computer, the pressure regulator is supposed to keep it at 43 psi approximately. That is for the VG30E in the Pathfinder/pickup application. 

• Like 1

I just installed a new fuel pump and filter because I was convinced I had a fuel pressure issue after my Pathy was doing the same as what yours sounds like.. It was running fine after the installs.. until 15 minutes later when I needed to get a tow truck to get me home..

Issue ended up being the distributor..

Hope yours in a quick fix, but if not the dizzy might be the next thing to check.. 

• Like 1