My 2001 Pathy Build

Here is with bumper back on and about 100lbs of stuff in the cargo area.

Vjc3bxn.jpg

Still sits high but not as noticeable, I’ll wait till tire carrier is installed with tire on and see how it sits then. 

Drives great and handles much stiffer with very little body roll. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I had an open Saturday and decided to build a roof platform. I used three 10’ lengths of super-strut, cut and welded then painted several coats of satin black. I think it turned out decent considering it only took about 4 hrs to build and cost about $65 including paint and welding wire.

hRH2HUL.jpg

7BvRkPb.jpg

jqf4iuL.jpg

cvM107l.jpg

anNEEwg.jpg

Edited by RideFaster
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Dang that looks awesome, I like that alot

Thanks! Because my crossbars got bent in the roll over, I removed them completely and was able to bolt the platform right down to the roof rails. I like how low profile it is but I have not driven it on the highway yet to see how bad the wind noise is. I will make up some sort of faring if it is very noisy.

• Like 1

Thanks!

There are a ton of attachment points. Also there are some nut inserts made for the super strut making it even more versitile for bolting brackets and accessories like light pods and bars. 

I estimate this rack to weigh about 35-45 lbs. 

1 hour ago, zakzackzachary said:

That looks awesome and provides a ton of attachment points, great job! I thought I'd be building one out of extruded aluminum one day, but that's definitely more pricey. Same idea though.

Excellent job on the rack, looks very low profile and capable

I’ve been considering doing a custom one myself, but don’t have time to take on another project right now.  I just went with an eBay basket and I’m hoping it works well for me when it gets here

Im looking forward to seeing what you end up doing for lights

Edited by PathyGig12

59 minutes ago, PathyGig12 said:

Excellent job on the rack, looks very low profile and capable

I’ve been considering doing a custom one myself, but don’t have time to take on another project right now.  I just went with an eBay basket and I’m hoping it works well for me when it gets here

Im looking forward to seeing what you end up doing for lights

I very seriously considered the eBay basket and have had a couple in my “cart” ready to buy! But when I considered my needs I really thought the platform would be more versatile. I have a rocket box I can mount up there for enclosed storage and everything else I would just bolt to the rack such as  shovel and hilift jack and when I’m not off roading I can use the platform to haul lumber. 

Edited by RideFaster

1 hour ago, RideFaster said:

I very seriously considered the eBay basket and have had a couple in my “cart” ready to buy! But when I considered my needs I really thought the platform would be more versatile. I have a rocket box I can mount up there for enclosed storage and everything else I would just bolt to the rack such as  shovel and hilift jack and when I’m not off roading I can use the platform to haul lumber. 

Yeah yours should be much stronger and more usable, no doubt. 

Thanks! Surprisingly very little wind noise! Even at 75mph with no fairing. I thought with all the holes it would be super loud but it isn’t so that’s good! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got out to do a little “soft roading” didn’t even use 4wd but was good test of suspension and handling. 

Installed 32” LED bar up on the rack platform 

lZf6zqe.jpg

WGDUCRK.jpg

7LJhofP.jpg

I have 4 LED pods I haven’t decided where to install yet, any suggestions? 

• Like 3

Looks like you've got plenty of light going forward already. Maybe two facing sideways for work lights and two backwards for reverse lights? I've got aux reverse lights on mine and they're a massive improvement over what it came with. I've got mine wired to come on with the stock reverse lights, but if you go that way, make sure you've got a kill switch for when you're driving around town so you don't blind everyone behind you.

Thanks for the input, I agree I need some more rear facing lights and side lights would be nice. I’m considering mounting two of the pods rear facing on the 45° angles of the roof rack so it broadcast at a diagonal on each side.

I am starting a rear bumper build where I will have 2 flush mount LED‘s for reverse lights in there down low that will be hooked to the reverse lights of the rig.

• Like 1